Triac control with PWM?

barbababa

Joined Mar 8, 2012
Hello all!

I am still a bit novice about electronics so i thought if someone could give some comments about this.

I want to control a resistive heating element according to it's temperature. I have a working circuit with picaxe 20x2 to measure and display the temperature. Also it can output a PWM signal.
I thought that the current source (max 20 A) would be connected to the element and a triac in series and the PWM signal would control the triac.
Is this a proper way do deal a problem like this?

If the current source works with 5v 50 Hz, would it work if i use a let's say 1 kHz PWM to control the current flow across the element?

Or would high power mosfets fit to this problem better because of the zero crossing problem?

Very huge thanks for any interest!

Cheers,
barbis

Last edited:

barbababa

Joined Mar 8, 2012
thanks for the replies!!

I like easy ways...
About these ssr components, all that i found had a output voltage rating
of 110 or 230 V. Minimum recommended was 80V.
Does this mean that these won't work with just 5 or 12 ?

or...
Could you give some circuit examples of how to use two moswets to control ac current with PWM???

huge thanks!

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
What is the AC supply voltage for the heating element? I see no reason that PWM cannot be used with an SCR by using an optically coupled SCR driver. PWM cycle rate about 1 sec allowing 0 to 50 cycles per period or 0 to 98% power.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I think if you have a low voltage to control, you'd be better off rectifying it and switching it with a transistor. Then you wouldn't need to worry about frequency or phase of the power line.