Treadmill Incline Motor

bkclonan

Joined Mar 11, 2010
I have a treadmill w/ an incline motor that needs a new up/down switch. The motor tests fine. The original control is in panel and is wired to control board. I can plug the wires in manually and make the platform raise and lower.
The motor has one up, one down, and one common (I assume) wire coming out from it. I have located the 2 hot wires (power). The motor is rated 110/120V AC. How would I wire a DPDT momentary off switch. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The common goes to the center pin, the up on one side and the down on the other.

There are only 3 wires, correct? (common, up, and down)

The rocker switch will connect the center pin to either the top or bottom pin depending on which way the switch is thrown.

So if you usually touch the common and the up together to raise the platform and the common and down to lower it, a standard rocker switch will do what you want

bkclonan

Joined Mar 11, 2010
3 wires from the motor up,down & common. The switch has 6 posts. I have 2 hot wires. Holding the switch in my hand I put the hot leads on the 2 center posts. The up wire from the motor at upper left hand post down wire at upper right hand, and common on 2 very bottom posts. Tripped the breaker for the treadmill.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I also have a treadmill elevation motor. A 3-wire reversible AC motor uses a phase shifting capacitor to change the direction of rotation. If you don't have the capacitor, it's value should be on the motor's name plate. Mine's 10uF.

Ken

Attachments

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Measure the resistance the between each pair of wires. The resistance between 1 and 3, and 2 and 3, should be approximately equal. The resistance between 1 and 2 should be twice the resistance of the either of the other two.

Ken