traveling around the world and importing/exporting?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am wondering how long did it take the fastest trip around the world by boat or submarine or anything other then air travel (i.e airplanes , air ballon , rocket ,...etc)
Only using land and water no air travel.

For planes doing the math out approx 24,900 miles / 400mph or 500mph gives a couple of day's and the actual record was in something like 68 hours or something which is pretty close.

So relatively easy to get to any part of the world from any other part in less then a couple day's or a weeks time if you are taking it slow.

Thats pretty impressive it definitely makes importing/exporting products from different parts of the world pretty quick with out a wait for the most part.

As for boat the I am not sure I am assuming import/export cargo boats go relatively the same speed as the cruise ships go which is real slow compared to the cargo planes. Something like 30 knots approx 33mph

And if you are import/exporting from china around 8000 miles away from california US approx would be 8000mile/33mph = 242.42 ish hours which is a 10 or 11 days

So I guess what is the longest distance an importer / exporter would have to send a product or curious on what is the longest import/export source/destination place that that is the biggest pain the the butt for exporters/importers?

I know the shortest max distance one could take for any travel would be half the circumferance or less
(well not exactly by boat/land restrictions / terrian /weather but a rough approx to a shortest max)

But what I don't know is what you importer/exporters think of the hardest or most pain in the neck distance source/destination to get your products to and from... this may depend on alot more factors then just distance I understand.

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
so all you importer/exporter cargo ship / vehicle drivers / supervisors what do you think ?

And is there a map of the paths of all the major importer/exporter source/destinations for there products.

I am assuming by now there is a standard best way or the way that normally works the best for ships .
( Also restricting would be the fact that you can only really drop off a large bunch of goods to a warehouse or large industary place to store it normally. So this would restrict to some extent where the destination could go for the bulk stuff )

Want to know your opinons on this.

As well as how long it takes to unload/load there products is there a certain timeframe they must a bid by.

I find shipping to Tristan da Cunha quite hard.
but what is the source/destination your talking about you only gave one point ?
And not if it is going to south africa or south america I would imagine :)

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
so much for around the world in 80 days :) and that was by plane lol back in the day

how about the fastest underwater vehicle to go around the world if any and how long did that take ?

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
so much for around the world in 80 days :) and that was by plane lol back in the day

how about the fastest underwater vehicle to go around the world if any and how long did that take ?
I thought that was by balloon? I'm really not sure a subs possible. Maybe a nuclear mil spec sub but to qualify you gotta got 21,000 nautical miles. Subs usually have to surface to exchange air, send communications, etc... But on the other hand on Das Boot the German U-boat movies went so far with realism to keep the crew out of the sunlight for 8 months for filming so they would be pale white with veins showing. So it very well may be possible. But that also may be another issue. We need nutrients and stuff from the sun, without sunlight or a proper HID, your not gonna get it and suffer health effects.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
If you were in a sub, would going from North to South be a quicker way than east to west? Just zip up and down the atlantic or pacific. No land in the way.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
How about for importers/exporters what is the most pain in the but places to deliver to source/destination if any.

Maybe north pole or antartica because of the cold I am guessing or maybe a place where war is in obviously a problem... much rather take the weather over shade people to some extent with guns

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Moving goods imported or exported,the real world (which we should visit

on a regular schedule). An indepentant truck driver has firgured out how much

he can make going from Fla to N,Y. and back. He will pay off the truck very quick.

So much per load to N.Y. and a load back to Fla. good money. First load to N.Y.

appox $1500.00,trip back $1500.00 the freight is out there for sure,like vegtables

need to be moved. He set out to N.Y. money in hand for load,he can't wait to

get a load back. Professor math are you still with me,ready to invest in a sure

thing. Well the trucker leaves Fla on sunday arrives in N.Y. on time, pulls into

a receiving warehouse ,the guy at the loading dock tells him to park...they will

unload him in a few days. He was not given a time,by sunday he was unloaded.

He went to a shipping agent for his $1500.00 back to Fla,the agent has a return

load to Fla.for $300.00 take it or leave it. The trucker choice go back empty or

accept the load. Welcome to real math,he didn't even breakdown...how lucky

can a independant contractor be..in the real world. Math lecture #1

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Submarines and icebreakers can get to the North Pole, but not the South because that is on land.
And additional information for the uninformed, polar bears DO NOT eat penguins (unless someone left a door open at the zoo :) ).

And

I have a patch similar to this on my bicycle panniers. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
How about for importers/exporters what is the most pain in the but places to deliver to source/destination if any.

Maybe north pole or antartica because of the cold I am guessing or maybe a place where war is in obviously a problem... much rather take the weather over shade people to some extent with guns
Sailboats like the one max posted above are able to sail around the world so quickly because the use the southern ocean. An extremely inhospitable place. Horrible weather and extreme distances to help. The only human beings that have been further away from civilization are the astronauts that have traveled to the moon.

Cargo ships are going to take much safer sailing routes.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
They have labs at the south pole,if someone get sick or injured they have to treat

themselfes. They have doctors among the the teams,due to weather they are

stranded part of the year. They get there supplies by hugh aircraft during good

weather,check out there web sites you can communicate with them. They also

have a trash moutain,bad trash service. No sail boat dock.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Curious is there a website that plots and shows all the importing/exporting locations for importer/exporters?

For example if the NY truck was bring shipments to florida is there away he could look up all the different docking stations possible in Florida if he was curious to know in the future what ones exist.

And from that he could also find out useing google maps how much time it takes to get down there from his starting point in NY

:)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
No figuring about 5 million dollars worth of ipad mini's have been stolen right out of cargo storage in CA and WA. Truck hijacking is still big biz. The have private logistics companies that track Trucks, trains, etc.. rerouting them etc.. Its a big dept in most trucking companies.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Curious is there a website that plots and shows all the importing/exporting locations for importer/exporters?

For example if the NY truck was bring shipments to florida is there away he could look up all the different docking stations possible in Florida if he was curious to know in the future what ones exist.

And from that he could also find out useing google maps how much time it takes to get down there from his starting point in NY

:)
Shipping into FL is expensive because its pretty much an island of america. Benefit is shipping out of FL is dirt cheap because 1000's of semi's have to come here to deliver products and food and then return home with an empty truck. Thats why big corporate biz never came to FL compared to other cities. Its a logistics nightmare.