Transmitting and receiving composite video

stoopkid

Joined Mar 3, 2011
I've tried searching but I can't quite get an answer for this, mainly just products.

I was wondering how complex it would be to transmit and receive composite video and what kind of circuit could do it? Sound would just be a luxury. Would that be a pretty big deal or could it be put together on a breadboard? What kind of range would be possible? I'm just looking for general info but I would eventually like to be able to transmit across or within a house.

Thanks

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
I've tried searching but I can't quite get an answer for this, mainly just products.

I was wondering how complex it would be to transmit and receive composite video and what kind of circuit could do it? Sound would just be a luxury. Would that be a pretty big deal or could it be put together on a breadboard? What kind of range would be possible? I'm just looking for general info but I would eventually like to be able to transmit across or within a house.

Thanks
If you want to transmit it on VHF or UHF,& receive it with a normal TV,it gets messy quick when you start working with the RF circuitry.
Definitely not a breadboard job!
You are unlikely to be able to recreate the VSB signal used in Broadcasting,but you can get away with full carrier DSB.
Of course,you then have to amplify a signal around 10MHz wide!

Where you are most likely to run into problems is with linearity of modulation,as that is where a fair bit of the complexity of TV transmission comes in.
You can buy ready made "flea power" TV re-transmitters where all this is already done for you,& I would recommend these.

Another alternative,if you have a spare computer,is to buy a device which you can feed composite video into,which then converts it to USB or Firewire.

You can then use WIFI to network with this dedicated computer,& watch from another room with your laptop.

dataman19

Joined Dec 26, 2009
Ahhhhh,,,
Ye old Rabitt comes to mind...
Not the furry little critter, ...... the Audio/Video transceiver set that was so popular way back in the day......

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I had me some Rabbits. Wonderful little devices, had em all over my apartment as I also had TV's all over too. Could mute the audio on them all with one touch of the remote from any room when the phone rang.