Transmission of Audio via IR or Wireless

aurotaro

Joined Jul 29, 2008
Hey guys, I'm gonna be starting on a new project in the next week.. I've begun a bit into the research for a new project..

Basically, this involves... building a set of earphones that can plug into a mp3 player but can also be used to send and receive music via IR or wireless to another nearby earphone/audiophile.

I'm currently looking at components I would need to getting kick-started on this project... a small flowchart to get me going would help me a lot..

Any help on this would be kindly appreciated..

Thanks.. i';ll keep this thread updated with how i go about... cheers.

roddefig

Joined Apr 29, 2008
Hello. I would definitely use IR, it will be much simpler than RF.

Do you have any specific questions? Asking general questions such as "how do I do this project" usually won't get you any help. People here are much more inclined to help you if you do the legwork first.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Is this project meant for eventual daily use or just an exercise?

There have been lots of IR headphones on the market and in my experience they are soon abandoned because the IR signal is directional (line of sight actually) so reception is variable as you move about in a real room.

Wireless, on the other hand spreads out more evenly.

Do some preliminary experiments with a TV remote or car keyfob.

If this is just an exercise then as Roddy says, IR is easier and cheaper to get working.

You can also buy modules for both systems.

Good luck.

aurotaro

Joined Jul 29, 2008
hey guys..

thanks for the replies..

yep.. the project is more umm.. how to say.. design and marketting based.

getting ideas and putting it together to form circuits and making the basic purpose of the project to work.. which is to transmit audio successfully..

also looking at adding some extra features into it just to show that it has a unique selling point for marketting purposes..

the project is not large-scale.. its basically putting theory into practical use.

I am currently looking at both IR and wireless strategies. IR definitely will work only on line of sight as suggested above but the projeect is not large scale so I'm trying to see if i really do need to do wireless.

I'll put up a small flowchart in the coming weekend to show ideas I have got to do the project.

Thanks once again.