Transistors Substitutions/Equivalents

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Hi all..

I am looking for a software or a pdf book of transistors replacements/substitutions... If anyone can help me find one (for free) I'll be very thankful.

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
No no... I know about books contain thousands if not millions of semeconductors listed in alphabetical order and their specs and crosses (substitutions) in tables... this is what I need specifically..

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
All the substitution books I have seen have been highly unreliable.

You are far better off understanding the specifications, particular those of particular interest to your application, and using a book or table of specs to find a proper substitute, or posting on sites like AAC for help choosing.

One particular problem is that many popular transistors are made in a variety of physical connection patterns. The substitute should also duplicate your particular pattern.

eg substituting a BC486 for a 2N4402 will fail on connection details, although electrically they are very similar.
substituting an MPSA55 would also fail because it is a much slower transistor (50Mhz against 150 Mhz)

I don't think subnstitution tables take these parameters into account

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Ok thanks Studiot for your help, I'll rely on this site and my knowledge to find substitutions..

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Most suppliers list at least the basic specs for their offerings. It is no good knowing you could substitute a BC109 for a BC 108 if you can't get either.

But you could look in a catalogue for a silicon NPN transistor with a voltage rating greater than 25 volts and a current capacity greater than 100 milliamps and a gain greater than 100 and the pinout sequence ebc and perhaps Ft greater than 100Mhz.

You would get several (many) candidates and could look on Google for more detailed specs to choose.