Transistor Recommendation

jsthomps

Joined Mar 30, 2010
Hi,
I'm building a pinball project that requires a microprocessor to control up to 100 Incandescent 6.3V 250ma miniature bulbs. Assuming a 10 x 10 matrix, each row and column transistor would have to hand 2.5amps at 6.3volts if all lights were turned on. Can anyone provide me with with a transistor recommendation for this project?
Thanks,
Scott

Pencil

Joined Dec 8, 2009
You should probably looking for an N-channel MOSFET.

What is the output voltage of your microprocessor?

Through hole or surface mount component?

Single or array (multiple per package)?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Why are you using stone-age incandescent bulbs that waste most of their input power making heat instead of light?
Why not use solid state modern LEDs instead?

jsthomps

Joined Mar 30, 2010
Why are you using stone-age incandescent bulbs that waste most of their input power making heat instead of light?
Why not use solid state modern LEDs instead?
I want to recreate the ambiance of a 1940 pinball machine. I acquired a game that was in beautiful condition but some knuckle head ripped out all of the electrical components save light and switches.

jsthomps

Joined Mar 30, 2010
You should probably looking for an N-channel MOSFET.

What is the output voltage of your microprocessor?

Through hole or surface mount component?

Single or array (multiple per package)?
I'm using an Arduino which I believe provides 5V outputs. Through hole for sure ... I'm years away from surface mount

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Hi,
I'm building a pinball project that requires a microprocessor to control up to 100 Incandescent 6.3V 250ma miniature bulbs. Assuming a 10 x 10 matrix, each row and column transistor would have to hand 2.5amps at 6.3volts if all lights were turned on. Can anyone provide me with with a transistor recommendation for this project?
Thanks,
Scott
IRLZ44N is more than capable and works with a logic level input.

dataman19

Joined Dec 26, 2009
Post the pinball machine.
We may be able to find a wiring manual. Then you "may" actually be able to restore it (can be worth some bucks restored and working).

jsthomps

Joined Mar 30, 2010
Post the pinball machine.
We may be able to find a wiring manual. Then you "may" actually be able to restore it (can be worth some bucks restored and working).
Unfortunately all the steppers and relays were removed. If they were intact that would have been my plan A. Thanks for offer to help.
Regards,
Scott