Transistor naming

Hemasagar Babu

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Hey,
I'm an electronics student and naturally I've been dealing with transistors a lot. I've come across two transistors, the sl100 and sk100 which don't quite seem to agree with the transistor naming conventions. Can someone please tell me what sl and sk stand for in sl100 and sk100 respectively?
Your help would be much appreciated
Thank you :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My "favorite" is the BC series of transistors where everyone freely specifies, for example, BC337, but there are two extra digits on some to specify hfe (BC337-25, or BC337-40). Those with the two extra digits generally (but not always) have 800 mA rating, whereas those without the two extra digits tend to be rated at 500 mA. Additionally, some distributors are not even aware of the differences and group them all together as the same part for parametric searches.

In other words, there is not even a standard within a series.

Hemasagar Babu

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Thank you guys for taking the time to type in your replies. Any idea what sl and sk stand for? Or is it just a case of the manufacturer using two letters according to his fancy? I do remember reading somewhere that s tells you it has a high slew rate and l specifies its application (in the low frequency range). I wasn't convinced with that answer, and that's why I posted the question here

dick56

Joined Apr 27, 2011
Hey,
I'm an electronics student and naturally I've been dealing with transistors a lot. I've come across two transistors, the sl100 and sk100 which don't quite seem to agree with the transistor naming conventions. Can someone please tell me what sl and sk stand for in sl100 and sk100 respectively?
http://www.engineersgarage.com/electronic-components/sl100-transistor

The general consensus is the "S" stands for silicon and the "L" stands for low power. If you ever want to find the data sheet for any electronic item, just put the letters and numbers in a Google search, and you will have 1,000 answers in 0.9 seconds. Some of the numbers on an item are the manufacture date and don't pertain to your search. Try typing in sl100 and see what you get.

Usually the date is the lower number and is stated like 1198 for November 1998 or 302 for March 2002.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is also a date code like 8904 meaning the 4th week of 1989 and there is a "Julian" calendar which numbers the days of the year so 11320 might mean the 320th day of 2011.

Just trying to be helpful.

Brainbox

Joined Nov 15, 2010
Far as I know there is only one code with a sort of distinction to specify semiconductors, named the Pro Electron code, used by European manufacturers.
Nowadays almost every country has its own code.

K3CFC

Joined Dec 4, 2012
Hey,
SK100 is RCA number. the other one is anybody's guess

Hemasagar Babu

Joined Nov 4, 2013
http://www.engineersgarage.com/electronic-components/sl100-transistor

The general consensus is the "S" stands for silicon and the "L" stands for low power. If you ever want to find the data sheet for any electronic item, just put the letters and numbers in a Google search, and you will have 1,000 answers in 0.9 seconds. Some of the numbers on an item are the manufacture date and don't pertain to your search. Try typing in sl100 and see what you get.

Usually the date is the lower number and is stated like 1198 for November 1998 or 302 for March 2002.
I did search it up on google. I wasn't convinced with the answers. Every website I searched had its own theory