Transistor Design Reference

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Hello All,

Does anyone know of any in-depth transistor design references? I am not in college yet but I would something similar to a college textbook. If that isn't possible, I would be obliged to know of any technical websites out there that teach transistor design (besides this website).

Thanks for your help!

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Hello All,

Does anyone know of any in-depth transistor design references? I am not in college yet but I would something similar to a college textbook. If that isn't possible, I would be obliged to know of any technical websites out there that teach transistor design (besides this website).

Thanks for your help!
There is the old classic by Millman&Halkias
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6624669/Integrated-Electronics-Jacob-Millman-and-Christos-Hallkias

I would recommend you combine this with a modern college text, but I'm not sure what is considered the best nowadays. There must be young students here who like their text book enough to recommend it?

Last edited:

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
There is the old classic by Millman&Halkias
By the way there are various versions of this book as later editions by Millman. For example "Microelectronics: Digital and Analog Circuits and Systems". I found mine in the free book pile at my local dump. -"One man's trash is another's treasure."

All books by Millman are good, but the one I posted is old and free as a PDF. It's really good for the fundamentals. Newer books may cover design methods and issues better, or maybe not, depending on your point of view.

There is also the famous "The Art of Electronics", by Horowitz and Hill. Most people like this, I think. I like it, but only as an additional text, not as a primary learning text.

The ebooks here are good too, and don't forget the videos offered here.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Malvino's Transistor Design was my bible at one time.

As has been mentioned the AAC ebook is also a text book, and free. Plus you can ask questions direct from the source.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned "Microelectronic Circuits" by Sedra and Smith. It is more challenging than other texts, however it pitched in at undergraduate level and will cover topics throughout your whole undergraduate course.

Hey Bill,
Could you give me a link to that AAC ebook textbook?
Thanks!
You can also download them for off-line use: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog.php?b=2

Dave