Transistor circuit help

8-bit

Joined Jan 7, 2014
I've just started dipping my toes into electronics and got hold of a few bits and pieces. I thought I would mess around with the transistors I have to see them in action. I setup a simple circuit with the collector attached to the positive rail, the emitter connected to a LED then onto the negative rail. I just wanted to see how the LED will only light when I run a current through the base of the transistor. The problem is the LED lights WITHOUT a current running into the base. What have I done wrong? :confused:

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
8-bit, you are using a positive AND a negative supply voltage, correct?
In this case, the negative voltage at the emitter and zero voltage at the base (I assume) cause together a positive B-E voltage which opens the transistor.
In this case, of course there is a base current.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
To make that circuit schematic work you need two modifications:

first, turn the LED over so that the cathode (not the anode) is connected to 0V.

second, the bottom lead of your transistor must be the emitter (usually drawn with an arrow to indicate current direction.) If you have the resistor connected to the collector, you will have to turn the transistor over by interchanging the collector and emitter.

8-bit

Joined Jan 7, 2014
Thanks Mike. Luckily the LED was the right way around but the transistor may not be. I'll post an image of my circuit so you can see maybe what the problem is.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Or the black one? If the LED is lit all the time, try shorting the base to the emitter. If the LED is still lit, the transistor is shorted. (Based on the assumption that it the pin order is EBC)

8-bit

Joined Jan 7, 2014
Hello,

Your transistor is shorted by the strips inside the breadboard.

Bertus
Ah! So thats the problem? But surely it wouldn't short without a current to its base? I assumed it would act as an open switch as it stands in the image.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The metal strip inside the breadboard is shorting the C-E of the transistor, so it can not switch.
Putting the emittor and the resistor in an other row will solve the problem.

Bertus

8-bit

Joined Jan 7, 2014
I did not think that it would be able to short as no current can flow between the collector and emitter until the transistor is 'turned on' by a base current.(?)

8-bit

Joined Jan 7, 2014
Yes thank you.

But it seems something odd is happening. When I apply a current to the base of the transistor the led lights up but I can't see how it does as the collector isn't connected to the positive rail(??)

I assumed the base current allowed a current to flow from collector to emitter but I've noticed the collector isn't actually connected to a the positive rail at the moment. :s

Last edited: