Transforming a 0-10 V signal into -100 V to 100 V

Blimb

Joined Oct 19, 2017
Hello!

I am working as a researcher in physics and need to transform a 0 to 10 V signal into a signal from -100 to 100 V. As I am unsure what the best solution for this would be I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question! So far I have only worked with low voltage circuits and I know little to nothing about higher voltages.

I am using the high voltages to control the gate electrode of graphene FETs, which requires voltages between -100 V and 100 V but no current will flow (i.e., I only need to source like a few uA at most due to external leakages). My testing equipment can only output 0 to 10 V. Ideally, I'd like to have a box that simply multiplies the voltage by 10 or -10 depending on a switch, but I am unsure if such DC-DC converters exist. So: 0V => 0V, 1V => 10V, 10 V => 100 V and a 'voltage inverter'. Is this possible with a DCDC converter, or do I need to get a high voltage power supply (potentially noisy/costly?) and use a HV opamp? It is important that there is very little noise on the signal (e.g. no 50 Hz noise).

I hope this is clear!

Cheers,

Bart

Blimb

Joined Oct 19, 2017
Hi Bertus,

Thanks for your reply! If possible I would like to avoid the need for a high voltage power supply. I think I forgot to mention that I will have the gate electrode at the same voltage for long periods of time; I do not need to amplify AC signals and actually would like the voltage to be flat/stable.

This piece of equipment: http://qtwork.tudelft.nl/~schouten/ivvi/doc-mod/docs1h.htm can source up to -90 V / 90 V (by multiplying voltages output by DACs) and is powered from low voltage batteries. Any idea how this would be done?

Thanks,

Bart

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
that thing cannot power anything... certainly not an HV opeamp (only 1uA output and that is when shorted). also +/-90V is insufficient. to get +/-100V output, you need power supply that exceeds output range. low voltage supply can be converted to high voltage using SMPS but care must be taken to not affect output.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It is important that there is very little noise on the signal (e.g. no 50 Hz noise).
Since current requirement is minimal you could use a stack of batteries (a dozen PP9 ?) plus a regulator and a DPDT reversing switch. The only reasonable alternative seems to be a SMPS. There will inevitably be some ripple on a SMPS supply, though careful filtering and screening can reduce it. So how much ripple would be tolerable?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

A flyback switching regulator might be able to generate your high voltage.

LT1371_dual_supply.png

Change will be needed for the transformer and the voltage dividers R1/R2 and R4/R5.

Bertus

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you are looking at infrequent changes in the test voltage, could you switch the voltages with relays?
That would allow you to use just a single 100V supply and easily reverse the supply polarity to the UUT.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Make two banks of alternately connected(series) 9 vdc transistor batteries. Use one as plus and one as negative.

Edit: If you don't need current......old batteries will work.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
If a static bias voltage is all you need......12, 9 vdc batteries will give you ~ 100 vdc...can be referenced at either end.
A pot across a selected battery......will adjust the voltage to that batteries positional voltage range.