Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sophie.annelies, Sep 3, 2010.

  1. sophie.annelies

    Thread Starter New Member

    Sep 3, 2010
    I brought back an electric pan from Japan thinking "oh yeah I'll just buy a transformer for it", unfortunately the correct step-down transformer from 240v (Australia) to 100v (Japan) and 650w costs over 5 times the cost of the pan, and is very difficult to find.
    Could I possibly use an American one (240v to 110v) without damaging my pan? These are cheaper and easier to find. Any other suggestions? :/ I had no idea it would cost me $250 !!
  2. soda

    Senior Member

    Dec 7, 2008
    Is the transformer current capable to handle the current the pan is going to use? These pans usually pull currents in the region of 7-10 Amps. If it is, then that's why you pay so mush for it.

    Normally all electrical appliances has a tolerances of about 20v as far as I know.This is usually to compensate for electrical spikes in the supply line.