Transformer with three out pins

vladtess

Joined Jan 5, 2011
Hi there! I have a transformer that has an input of two wires (120 vac) and an output of 15 vac in yellow colored wires. But there is also another, back wire output, that I don't really need, since I get my desired 15 vac, but just curious what is that for? I read somewhere that it is for the 'negative voltage' or somethhing. Can someone enlighten me please? Or a link to some page, cuz google didn't really come up with right results. (maybe i search wrong keywords).

Thanks much!!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I would assume the black wire is the center tap. Your two yellow wires are "hot", out of phase, so you get 15 volts between them. If you tested between a yellow wire and the black wire, you would probably get about 7.5 volts.
Der Strom

vladtess

Joined Jan 5, 2011
I would assume the black wire is the center tap. Your two yellow wires are "hot", out of phase, so you get 15 volts between them. If you tested between a yellow wire and the black wire, you would probably get about 7.5 volts.
Der Strom
Thank you!!

Sir, when you say out of phase, what do you mean? Now I see that center tap is a wire in the center of the coil. What would be the purpose of the center tap? Thanks!!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The center tap has two common uses I can think of when making a DC supply.

First is when you can use a simpler bridge rectfier only using 2 diodes.

Next is you can use a full wave bridge (4 diodes) and if you use the center tap as ground you get both positive and negative voltages out.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Whilst it is most likely to be a centre tap, some manufacturers supply an increment connection that allows the output to be increased by a few volts.

This caters for situations where you are connecting to lower mains voltage for some reason, but still need the exact output you would get from normal mains.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thank you!!

Sir, when you say out of phase, what do you mean? Now I see that center tap is a wire in the center of the coil. What would be the purpose of the center tap? Thanks!!
Out of phase means that while one wire has a positive voltage, the other has a negative (to "receive" it, so to speak). Then when the first is negative, the other is positive. It keeps switching back and forth (hence "AC" alternating current).
The question about the center tap seems to already have been answered :)
Hope this helps!
Der Strom