Transformer question

rcullens

Joined Apr 26, 2008
Hell all,

I pulled a mini transformer out of a circuit and looking at the schematic it has two legs on one side and three on the other. But the physical transformer itself has two legs on one side and four on the other. Can anyone tell me why that is?

rcullens

Joined Apr 26, 2008
Ok so how do I tell which one the schematic used? Also the "unused" fourth lead was soldered in the PCB but im not sure what it was going to.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
By looking at the circuit board. There is no unused lead. Somewhere, two of the legs were connected together to make a center tapped secondary.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Possibly to allow two secondary (or primary) windings to be connected in series or parallel.
Agreed. PREM and others make transformers with split primaries and secondaries so that various combinations of input/output can be handled. It sounds like your secondaries were stacked to make a center tapped transformer.

BTW: PREM makes great stuff. First mfr. to come to mind.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Look at the circuit board and see which 2 pins were connected to each other. If you can't do that, you will have to give the primary some AC current and measure the secondary windings to find their ends and their phase relationship.