Transformer problem

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Hi all.

I have a burnt out transformer for a treadmill and I want to replace it. On the transformer a drawing for two primary windings, one is 220V and the other is 22V, and the secondary winding is 10V. The current/power rating is not mentioned on it but I can estimate it from the size and output voltage together, the transformer is medium in size, I estimate the output current to be 1A.

Now, it's not easy to find a replacement transformer similar to the original one, because is has another primary winding (22V). I'm thinking to use two transformers, one is 220V-to-10V 1A and the other is 220V-to-22V (but don't know the required current rating needed...)

But I don't know if this works especially because I'm not understanding why the 22V winding is drawn at the primary side and not secondary where the only power source is the mains 220V source.

Any idea or help is appreciated :)

Regards,
Hazim

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Ok but tomorrow, I don't have a digital camera now in my work. I've tried to take pictures to it by my cell phone but they aren't clear at all.

The 22v winding is probably intended for use in countries that use 240v mains (220v + 22v in series). All you really need is a mains to 10v transformer that can handle the required current (a little headroom wouldn't hurt either, it doesn't need to be exact).

The real question is what is the required current?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I measured 249.6 VAC at my house today, so a 220 winding with a 22V helper winding in series with it would be a serious improvement compared to only a 220 volt winding. This might be exactly what the mfg had in mind.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I would check the gauge of the 22V winding. It should be same as the 220V one. If it were a primary

I do not think any one uses 220V + 22V .

Last edited:

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Thank you all for replying. I forgot to get the camera with me to work.. so I'll not post a picture now. Anyway I don't think it will help...
The transformer was burnt out because of a problem in an inverter used at home, it gave high voltage that burned several appliances in the home..
The electricity service in Lebanon is a long story.. "#12", I always measure the voltage, sometimes I find it around 220V and sometimes less than 110V!! it's really a very bad service in Lebanon. Also it goes off for about 10 hours every day.. this is out of topic. But most homes have an automatic voltage regulator.

Now, I don't see that the 22V winding is usefull in Lebanon if it's really for protection from higher voltage input.

R!f@@, the gauge of the 22V winding is less than that of the 220V one (thicker by about 1.5 times).

So what is the solution? replace with a 220V-to-10V 1A transformer?

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
What do you mean by "Aux"?

This 22V winding is important as I see on the circuit board.. see this picture I took from my cell phone, it clarifies everything

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Aux is "auxillairy". It just means another secondary. and...if the 22 volt winding is thicker than the primary, it is not a primary helper. It is a secondary like Rifaa said.

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
R!f@@, it is connected to the bridge rectifier by the small white socket, between the medium size electrolytic capacitor and the text box "connected with the 22V winding".

We considered that 22V winding is a secondary winding regardless what's drawn on the transformer, mainly because the terminals of this 22V winding are connected to a rectifier only and so it's an output not input..

I have an idea but not sure if it works. Since it's hard to find a 220V-to-22V transformer, I'm thinking about using two transformers: the first is 220V-to-10V 2A and the second is 220V-to-12V 1A (maybe 500mA is enough). Connecting their outputs i series so I get 22V and 10V but with common terminal.

What do you think?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Get a 24VAC one, you'll be fine. It can tolerate that much. If you doubt it, get me the filter voltages and it's load area picture

hazim

Joined Jan 3, 2008
Back to this thread. Thank you all for help. The transformer is sent to someone who will rewind it for 10~15$.

Regards,
Hazim