transformer help very basic

yikes

Joined May 19, 2007
Can't get my head around this, so I will ask.

110 v from wall mains through 12 gauge house black wire coiled 10 turns in air (or nail) connected to white wire (12/2 cable). What must be present so that this is not a direct short circuit?
I have read about transformers, I have them, I use them, but obviously, I don't understand them.

On a different note: sadly my tek 265 (old Navy) scope let go the magic smoke yesterday while looking at 2 phases of an alternator that I have split into three phases. I had no ground connected to the scope because I never know where/how to connect the ground. Yes stupidity is dangerous.

Can't get my head around this, so I will ask.
110 v from wall mains through 12 gauge house black wire coiled 10 turns in air (or nail) connected to white wire (12/2 cable). What must be present so that this is not a direct short circuit?
I asked myself that very question and until I read something that snapped me back I really couldn't get my head around it either.....Remember that a transformer is all about AC!!!!! It wants AC and it makes AC. You put DC into it you have a short. ....But you put AC into it you form magnetic elements (that interact). Then ask yourself what IS the major difference between both AC & DC and it will hit you.

The complexities are the formulas of allowing transformers to do what they do. But it's an all "AC affair". A VERY good source for this is a copy of the US Navy electrician's tech manuals. They explain in very elementary terms leading to quite substantial formulas what and how transformers manipulate AC with their magnetic fields.

Try not to be sidetracked by the methods of making a tiny nail magnetic via 30 second exposure to a DC source....think BIG.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
If you really want to play with dangerous AC do it safely. For your question, use a plain lamp at the end of your circuit. Any short at the ends of the wires below you make will just lit the lamp with no smoke.

AC==========------------========lamp

It would be better if you use lower voltage from a transformer to play with.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The Navy NEETS pubs can be downloaded freely here:
http://www.tpub.com/content/neets/index.htm
Transformers are covered in Module 2, but for maximum benefit, start with Module 1.

Sorry you let the smoke out of your Tek 265. Those are good old scopes. You might've just fried a resistor or a cap. I certainly wouldn't toss it out.

Finding a service manual might be a trick, but you may get quite lucky if you check out some HAM fests/swapmeets. Check out the ARRL.
http://www.arrl.org/

yikes

Joined May 19, 2007
Thank you for the replies.

What I am wanting to do is induce a current in a chemical solution. I thought it best to ask the basic question so that I didn't miss something.

"You might've just fried a resistor or a cap. I certainly wouldn't toss it out."
LOL. My trash container has painted on it: PARTS BIN. My wife swears I never throw anything away. The yahoo Tek group will help me track it down, if I get stumped. edit: It was the 465 sorry,,,senior moment.

Last edited:

yikes

Joined May 19, 2007
Well, almost made it through the NEETS Mod 1 today. I think some of the pieces are coming together. Sure wish I had read that 40 years ago.

Thank You for the link. I'd buy you a root beer if I could.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, almost made it through the NEETS Mod 1 today. I think some of the pieces are coming together. Sure wish I had read that 40 years ago.
They didn't have NEETS back then. They had NAVPERS 10087-x. Well, a prior edition; NAVPERS 10087-x came out in 1971.

Basic Electricity - NAVPERS 10086-A
Basic Electronics Vol 1 - NAVPERS 10087-C
Basic Electronics Vol 2 - NAVEDTRA 10087-Cl

I have my copy sitting right here. It was issued to me in 1974.
NEETS is a more up to date and comprehensive collection than the 10087-x series. If you look in the appendix, you'll see the NAVPERS/NAVEDTRA 10087-x cited as references.

Thank You for the link. I'd buy you a root beer if I could.
Next time you're in Orlando, I'll hold you to it. ;)

Happy reading - there's lots of great info in NEETS. You can't beat the price - and you didn't have to go through Boot Camp to get it either ;)

[eta]
If you really want the 10087-x, Barnes & Noble has a reprint version
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ba...Personnel/e/9780760752395/?tabname=custreview

Last edited: