transformer help 240v to ? charger uk

diesalweasel

Joined Aug 28, 2010
i there i have a universal charger for a laptop it suddenley stopped working i have dianosed the problem of it being the transformer inside the unit there power going to it but nothing comeing out .the transformer is black with yellow tape wrapped around it soldered to the board.
the problem i have got is does the transformer come out dc at the other end and plus what transformer would i have to buy
240v to ?
here the data of the charger it self
modle number acd2u120
input ac110-240v 50/60hz 1.3a max
output 12/15/16/18/19/20v 6a max dc
24v 5a 120w max dc
usb ports 5v 2a dc
from the transformer it self it got 8 legs what are soldered to the board 4 on each side
there no number or letters on this thing
it from china
i would go out and buy a new 1 but this charger carries 12 diffrent connction and the new one only carry 8 plus this carries usb ports
i'd be really greatful if any one got any anser for me
if not is it possible to strip it down
i take it when these things break is it abreak in the wire in side as it made of wire
sorry for long post
regards jamie

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Be very careful with what you are doing.

You have found an SMPS transformer.

These are not normal mains 50 Hz transformers and replacing them with such a device will likely lead to failure in the form of a small fireworks display. Instead they are usually rated from 10 kHz to up to 1 MHz and as such are entirely different devices.

I would suggest you troubleshoot elsewhere as the transformers in SMPS's rarely fail; more likely the device driving them, which is often a MOSFET. Look carefully for a heatsink with a black plastic or metal device attached. Show us a picture of the fet in question; often, a failure is obvious from overheating.

Also, be careful with mains equipment, but this should go without saying.

diesalweasel

Joined Aug 28, 2010
i there thankyou for your reply MOSFET also know as transister i think not sure tho there is a aluminum plate what is soldered to the board in a (L)shape with mosfet bolded to it 3 of. in one respective i carn't really see how these can drive it but then againe spose it all links up someware down the line . on the out put of this transformer there 4 wires 2 on each side and when it is solder to the board and then each side roles back in to 1 soldered together so if i'm correct it like a postive and a nutural .i'v took some pictures hope this help ps i'v had a multimeter on it and nothink come out the other side
regards jamie

Attachments

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
i there thankyou for your reply MOSFET also know as transister i think not sure tho there is a aluminum plate what is soldered to the board in a (L)shape with mosfet bolded to it 3 of. in one respective i carn't really see how these can drive it but then againe spose it all links up someware down the line . on the out put of this transformer there 4 wires 2 on each side and when it is solder to the board and then each side roles back in to 1 soldered together so if i'm correct it like a postive and a nutural .i'v took some pictures hope this help ps i'v had a multimeter on it and nothink come out the other side
regards jamie
Can you get a closer pic of the MOSFET? You may have to unbolt it and desolder it.