Transformer Connections

williamthomas

Joined Jul 26, 2013
Hi...
I'm building a power amplieir. I want to connect my power transformer with two bridge rectifiers so that the output will be 2 x +- 24 volt. how should the transformers wires and bridge rectifiers be connected?

Thanks

Attachments

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Hi...
I'm building a power amplieir. I want to connect my power transformer with two bridge rectifiers so that the output will be 2 x +- 24 volt. how should the transformers wires and bridge rectifiers be connected?

Thanks
As Shown. You need 2 of these.

Transformer White & Blue is One set of AC input
. . . . . . . . . Yellow & Green is the Second set of AC input

Ramesh

Attachments

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
Yes, like Ramussons suggested, make two circuits like that and connect the dc sides of the rectifiers in series, i.e. negative of top rectifier connects to positive of bottom rectifier. This becomes the common or 0V rail. The top rectifier's positive becomes your positive rail and the bottom rectifier's negative becomes your negative rail.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
As far as being two +/- 24V supplies, that's not going to happen with two 18 volt secunder coils in the illustrated transformer. You can get one. You can however, get two +/- 9 volt supplies.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
As far as being two +/- 24V supplies, that's not going to happen with two 18 volt secunder coils in the illustrated transformer. You can get one. You can however, get two +/- 9 volt supplies.
Doesn't the secondary voltage times 1.41 minus two diode drops still apply to this circuit? 18 X 1.41 - 1.4 = 23.98 Isn't that close enough for government work?:D

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Doesn't the secondary voltage times 1.41 minus two diode drops still apply to this circuit? 18 X 1.41 - 1.4 = 23.98 Isn't that close enough for government work?
It is under most circumstances. But I took it as the OP wanted two + and - supplies. If they wanted one + supply and one - supply, that might be "close enough" depending on the load and the current rating of the transformer.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Thanks Johann, serves me right for not double checking an image I got off teh interwebs.

This is what I meant. Really. Note the dots on the secondaries, that's important. Colors same as the original (I just couldn't fit them at 5 o'clock in the morning).

I'll be quiet now.

Attachments