Transferring datasheet curves to Excel?

umphrey

Joined Dec 1, 2012
I end up doing this a lot where I have a datasheet with a curve and I want to transfer the data points over to Excel. Does anyone know a program that does this more efficiently than manually reading the datapoints? Something graphical perhaps?

See attached,
thanks

Attachments

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I've seen something that allows one to import a screenshot of a graph, select axis ranges & units, and trace over the graph so as to replicate the data captured by the graph and interpolate along the trace.

I'm not sure if something exists in the wild, though...

Edit: It seems there is a number of software that can do this.

Blueleaf software make something that seems to do this.

plotdigitizer may also be up for the task...

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I've digitized charts a number of ways. Quick and dirty brute force is to use the copy machine to blow it up, and then pick points manually. It's easier to choose points where the curve crosses over a grid line. If you don't have gridlines, I've used a ruler to draw my own.

Or you can import a scan or screen capture of a graph into Excel, and then create a transparent Excel chart on top of it. You makes the axes to line up nicely and sometimes you can fit the curve with an equation.

I never had the benefit of an automated digitizer. Sounds like a great tool if it works.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Going to be tough to get accurate numbers off of a log-log graph like that.
There an expression we always used in the lab: "Anything is a straight line on a log-log plot." Not exactly true, but the point is you can often make rough data look like good, smooth data by using a log-log plot.