Transferring a binary to a Maxim MAXQ610 chip

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I'm new to embedded systems and looking for tips on transferring a binary executable to a MaxQ610 chip by Maxim via a JTAG interface, without spending $4k+ on software. I'm building the Maxim reference board found here. I plan to compile the given source code using a trial version of IAR Embedded Workbench, which will leave me with a binary. Once the trial expires, I need a way to transfer the binary to the chip without the expensive software. Is there someone familiar with Maxim software that can tell me if the Maxim "MTK" software will transfer the binary built in IAR Embedded Workbench to the MaxQ610 chip?

This is a proof of concept project with a shoestring budget, so I need to figure out how to copy the binary executable to this chip without spending $4000+ for software. If the project takes off then I can buy the software, but at this stage there is no money for it. According to the help files the Maxim MTK software can send "code" to the chip, but I'm not clear if it will transfer a binary that was created in other software. Thank you in advance for any tips or information!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Call an FAE on the telephone. He should be able to help with your query. He might even be able to suggest alternative tools for this phase of the project. They want to sell chips and they are competing with people who give this stuff away for free for the sole purpose of selling chips.

I'll venture a guess that not many hobbyists, such as ourselves, can afford the spare scratch to purchase the IAR toolset for any processor let alone an oddball one. That was your first bad choice, try to avoid compounding the mistake.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for the tip, I will look for an FAE if no one here knows the answer. I'm also waiting for Maxim support to respond to my question.

My idea was to use this reference PCB as a starting point since it covers 97% of the functionality I need for this piece of my project (a wireless relay with ultra low power receiver). My last project used an Atmel processor that was programmable with free development software, so I wasn't expecting to have to pay for software to program this chip. Lesson learned!

The thought has crossed my mind to swap this maxim chip for an atmel chip, but I really don't want to spend the time digging for an equivalent low power Atmel chip and then rewiring the board and porting the firmware if I don't have to.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I understand completely. How companies market, price, and promote enabling technologies for their main products says a great deal about how they view their customers. Why buy from a company that thinks nothing of making your life difficult. It is too short as it is.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
It looks like what I want to do might be possible using Maxim MTK software (free). These instructions are not for the exact chip I want to use, but I can't imagine it would be any different:

http://files.maximintegrated.com/system_extension/EVKits/MAX31782/User%20Guides/Installing%20and%20Using%20MTK.pdf

It looks like once I have a .hex file then I should be able to transfer it using MTK and a JTAG adapter. I've tried calling Maxim a few times to verify and so far their help has been useless, they take my info and promise an email and phone call, but never get back to me; so I guess I'm going to have to build it and try it to get the answer. Too bad I couldn't find an equivalent reference design using Atmel chips! ;)