Traffic Signals

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The new computer controlled traffic lights will change and give you
green light,If your head lights are bright enough on high beams.Next
time you are at a traffic signal put your bright lights on day or night.
Check this out and report.

Dom Mancino

Joined Dec 6, 2009
I doubt this is true.... whats the point?

so if we have a bunch of cars sitting at an intersection during rush hour, the lights are gonna change for everyone who decides to turn on their high beams?

fail

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Sounds doubtful, headlights don't have a huge spread, don't point that high, and the controller is on just one side of the road, usually hidden in some shrubbery. There are also streetlights at most intersections. Years ago, there was a device, call MIRT, an IR light at a certain frequency, would change the signal lights for emergency vehicles, and there is/was a build for a device on the web. With traffic cameras these days, haven't read about anybody getting busted using such a device in years. They may have also gone to a different system, while upgrading to LEDs.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Had a long left turn signal,tried It at night It worked.Was told will work day time with
the new halagen lights on bright.Just try It out and report.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I have been doubted before,the point conversation with people having
opinions and real information.Who knows the guys that have the pesty
long left turns when the computer irnores your single car on a 4 lane hwy.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
There are new "smarter" traffic lights out there that have a light sensor pointing in each direction of a cross street, this sensor is used to determine when an emergency vehicle is coming through (uses a modulated light frequency to trigger, someone already tried to make a device for switching lights using this technology and already has been banned in most states) and changes lights accordingly, and are also used for traffic moderating, so if the cross section is not busy, and you are at the intersection waiting for the light to change, it might be just that, it will change your light quicker to reduce your wait time if the normal traffic flow is not present.... you see these around most city streets now in downtown Lansing (MI. USA) around the capitol... along with camera's supposedly also used for traffic flow control.... these systems are supposed to minimize maintenance costs versus the ones with inductive sensors embedded in the pavements....

Ideally, the modern (smart) traffic signal should regulate its action according to the number of cars using the intersection. And it must be immune to all types of interference that modern traffic hackers might devise. Because these actions have such an important role in keeping traffic moving and relieving congestion, the modern traffic signal should have the dependability and reliability of our electric power grid.

Regards, DPW

ke5nnt

Joined Mar 1, 2009
Please have a look at the most commonly used system for providing green light right of way to emergency vehicles. The Opticom. This page explains a lot.

Yes, people have been able to hack together a system, but with the advent of so many intersection cameras, if an opticom is triggered too frequently, they can look at the cameras to find the culprit, and they will prosecute. I read at one point that abuse of the system by an unapproved person has become a federal felony. In my eyes, a very good way to deter me from every even trying...

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Flashing your brights Is not hacking,sit at the left turn If you don't want to try It.
Run the light If you are approached by a stranger.The answer to people asking
for a light or directions which can dangerous,(I am working) that will protect from the
simple statements being rejected and your personal space being invaded.The first thing
that will be said,I just asked for a light,not against the law.Interferring
with your work is a different subject. Say nothing else. If you have to expose your self
to a late nite service call or repair you will very likely be asked a similar question
or going to or from.People come from nowhere and will test your ability to protect your
self or what you have for them to take Including your life. Have you heard the expression
(You disrepect me for looking at me Or you disrespect me for not looking at me. A no win
event to avoid If you can.

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Flashing your brights Is not hacking,sit at the left turn If you don't want to try It.
Run the light If you are approached by a stranger.The answer to people asking
for a light or directions which can dangerous,(I am working) that will protect from the
simple statements being rejected and your personal space being invaded.The first thing
that will be said,I just asked for a light,not against the law.Interferring
with your work is a different subject. Say nothing else. If you have to expose your self
to a late nite service call or repair you will very likely be asked a similar question
or going to or from.People come from nowhere and will test your ability to protect your
self or what you have for them to take Including your life. Have you heard the expression
(You disrepect me for looking at me Or you disrespect me for not looking at me. A no win
event to avoid If you can.

sounds like you need to move to a different city / state ;)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Been to Mich,just cross a bridge at Saint Charles on the lake,you tell which one.
Got my first long sleeve running shirt there,got to ride in a parade because of my status.
Saw the Sears tower in Ill.

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
I used to do it all the time in Colorado on the 50 that ran thru town (allegedly) when the lights would go red for no reason on the highway. I would do it a few hundred yards back but I also remember doing it at a left turn light in california a while back.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I have heard that things are pretty bad in the USA but I didn't thik they are that bad:

People testing your ability to protect yourself?
Or what you have for them to take (to steal?)?
Or .... to take .... your life?

Why? Are they crazy?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
People are not crazy like that in Canada.
Oh, maybe visiting Americans are, but most are in jail.

People are also not like that in Cuba (I had a very nice vacation) because there are no Americans there.

Does "street smart" mean to watch out for the crazy Americans?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Americans go to Cuba ,this a bad time of year the tradewinds,
researcher go there all the time.

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Does "street smart" mean to watch out for the crazy Americans?
Actually where he lives in Florida, those people he is talking about are probably mostly FROM Cuba, and other neighboring countries.... We do not worry about much of that here in MI (except near the Canadian borders ;) where they smuggle in immigrants and drugs). (well, maybe in Detroit, I wouldn't get caught walking the streets at night :rolleyes:)

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
This is crap because there is nothing on the traffic lights that react to sudden light and flashing, they are controllec by the magnetic properties of your car parking over the sensors under the road like a big metal detector, then the computer makes the hard decisions, when you are at the traffic lights look at the road where the cars stop on the red and there is like sealed cuts

Chris

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
thank you Chris!

back to basics everyone

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/question234.htm

http://www.prioritycommand.com/

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6987464/claims.html

i dont know how many idiots i have seen flashing lights or honking horns at intersections in a futile attempt to change the traffic lights!

try pulling up to one with a motorcycle late at night and wait and wait and wait for the light to change in your favor if you are not in the primary road....flash your lights, honk your horn, scream profanities, dance a jig...dont matter, wait your turn.

Last edited: