Traffic Lighst with a few extras!

joshs.213

Joined Jan 30, 2013
Hi all,

I'm new to the site and am aware there are altready other threads on Traffic Lights - but I'm looking to make mine a little different!

As part of my course, I am required to create and adapt a circuit. I have chosen to create a traffic light circuit, and adapt it by adding buzzers, so that when each light is illuminated, a separate buzzer also sounds. Also, if anyone else has any other ideas as to what I could add then I am open to new ideas!

Basically, I have the circuit, and can upload an image if required. It is pretty much the same as the Circuit Wizard sample circuit (if anyone is familiar with it).

All I would like to know is, how can I add the buzzers to it, and also any other component ideas if anyoen has them.

Thanks

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
could you not just wire a buzzer in parallel with the bulb so when the bulb is on the buzzer buzzes until the light goes off.

What kind of voltages are you working with?

joshs.213

Joined Jan 30, 2013
I'm not sure what voltage the LED's are at, but the buzzers are 3V, but can be either 6V or 12V. I've been told I may need to include an operational amplifier?

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
LEDs should be 3V. I don't think you need an op-amp, but where were they suggesting you use it?

The buzzers should buzz if you connect the positive lead "above" the resistor and the negative lead "below" the LED, as shown on the diagram.

joshs.213

Joined Jan 30, 2013
I'm not too sure, above the resistor I think.
I've just tried that, the simulation still doesn't work. The LED doesn't power on either when it is supposed to, which suggests that it is a power issue?

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
an op-amp for each LED?? if that's the case then the voltage from the IC probably isn't enough to light the LED.

I haven't built this circuit, so I just figured adding the buzzer in should work, but it's hard to figure out what to do when you don't know the voltages.

where did you get the diagram?

joshs.213

Joined Jan 30, 2013
I got the diagram from the sample circuits on circuit wizard and recreated it myself. Would it be possible for me to send it you?

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
I can't get it to simulate in multisim either, but I could have the pins connected wrong. I need to know which pins on the 74LS190 are which number....the labels are different in multisim.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
I guess I could check the datasheet....*facepalm*

But as it turns out there seems to be 5V at each of the LEDs, and it does seem to be triggering them correctly, but the LEDs just aren't coming on.

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
I was mistaken, I used the wrong LED, it works fine.
I used a basic 555 in my circuit, with a 1Hz frequency, and the lights are working ok.

I would say the reason it isn't simulating for you is because there is no power or ground connected to your 74LS190.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
L1 - L2 - L4 - L8 are tied to ground( 0V)

How are Q1 - Q2 - Q4 - Q8 supposed to change?

Edit: Never mind I didn't catch that it was a 'counter'

joshs.213

Joined Jan 30, 2013
Ok thanks for the help. So where do you recommend I amend the circuit?

(Sorry I'm a little new to this)

Or if you could provide me with an image, that would be helpful, thanks!