tower cranes

nimanik

Joined Dec 22, 2011
hey guys
My graduation project is about automated tower crane using PLC , And I am supposed to implement a prototype for this crane also.
and to be more specific in my questions , I am asking about criteria of project and information ;

1-implementation of prototype is possible
2-seq. of operation
3-sensors availability

is any one have done it before?i don't have enough time time 4 do this

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You'll have plenty of time to do it while you take the make-up class.

I would like to hear what an employer would say if you told them that you don't have time to design their product for them. My guess is that they would walk you to the front door, and push you out of it with a pink slip in your hand.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You'll have plenty of time to do it while you take the make-up class.

I would like to hear what an employer would say if you told them that you don't have time to design their product for them. My guess is that they would walk you to the front door, and push you out of it with a pink slip in your hand.
I'll bet the OP had plenty of time to play video games or what ever is all the rage with young people these days. :)

Isn't this amazing how many posts are the first and only post from the poster?

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I'll bet the OP had plenty of time to play video games or what ever is all the rage with young people these days. :)

Isn't this amazing how many posts are the first and only post from the poster?
What really surprises me is how openly some people will state that they are in this kind of situation, which is really likely to turn people off helping them. At the same time, as in this example, they often describe the problem that they need solved in pitifully little detail. Perhaps the latter comes from a desire for it not to be too easily spotted by nosey teachers etc?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What really surprises me is how openly some people will state that they are in this kind of situation, which is really likely to turn people off helping them. At the same time, as in this example, they often describe the problem that they need solved in pitifully little detail. Perhaps the latter comes from a desire for it not to be too easily spotted by nosey teachers etc?
I think so. More and more are posting their questions as images so the teacher can't google them for known text.

Others leave out a big part and try to get the hard part solved, while spreading out the "big part" info across several posts before admitting it is an assignment.

THen there's the ones That start around Dec 1st, and early May of "I need this project quick, it's due in 4 days and I haven't even started!". They don't even have a chance to get the parts in that time, let alone test any working solution.

The EVIL side of me wants to post a hex file for a PIC with a schematic (1 for traffic light, one for elevator, etc), but just have the PIC toggle pins when buttons are presssed if connected, so it will "kind of work" for any app. That's the evil side of me, though. A few poisoned solutions on the net would stop the practice of grabbing "free homework" without giving it a try themselves.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The EVIL side of me wants to post a hex file for a PIC with a schematic (1 for traffic light, one for elevator, etc), but just have the PIC toggle pins when buttons are presssed if connected, so it will "kind of work" for any app. That's the evil side of me, though. A few poisoned solutions on the net would stop the practice of grabbing "free homework" without giving it a try themselves.
Have it blink in Morse code: "plagiarized". :D

nimanik

Joined Dec 22, 2011
i don't have enough time time 4 do this,sth i think, maybe it's not true anyway can any one help me to find refrences plz?
i have to check if i can do it with PLC LOGO siemens but i don't think so cause of it's lack of I/O s and as i know it can't do multiply
what kind of ac motor i have to use for this?
this is not a new project in my uni but i like to make it more economical

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You have given us ZERO specifications, such as size, load ability, movement range, power limitations, limitations on parts or classes of parts that can be used, etc.

How are we supposed to answer?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
i don't have enough time time 4 do this,sth i think, maybe it's not true anyway can any one help me to find refrences plz?
i have to check if i can do it with PLC LOGO siemens but i don't think so cause of it's lack of I/O s and as i know it can't do multiply
what kind of ac motor i have to use for this?
this is not a new project in my uni but i like to make it more economical
So you don't have rime for it but you expect others here to take time to help when you have done nothing?

evilclem

Joined Dec 20, 2011
Before we help you graduate, you should learn basic grammar and communication first. I'm still not entirely sure what you're asking.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Talking of tower cranes I was fascinated to see how they do to bring them higher and higher along the process of building a building (is this how you say it? :eek: )

nimanik

Joined Dec 22, 2011
dear friends u'll have to excuse me for my grammar and language mistakes i hope u be more patient i have one mom an she say every things that u said to me every day:D just think i live in one of the countries you may have not ever heared it's name any way
i want to know what should i do step by step
this is the full name of my project:
Complete study of an electrical and instrumentation of a tower cranes and upgrading the following to PLC panels
The cranes used in construction projects have a complex mix of electricity boards, cabinets with overload protection and special features
Finally, check that you can replace some of the circuit boards and driving circuits with PLC LOGO
somebody heeeeeeeeeellllp meeee please

evilclem

Joined Dec 20, 2011
The first thing you need to do is to find out exactly what is in the existing electricity boards and cabinets. You need to write down on a big piece of paper (or lots of small pieces of paper) exactly what each box to be replaced does, what its inputs are, what its outputs are and what happens in the middle.

I've not done much with PLC's but if this is the logo you are chasing then it can't be too tricky if there's only 8 inputs and 4 outputs.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have commissioned a gantry crane before on an oil rig. It was full of Siemens PLCs. It was completely hydraulic . Meaning, no VFDs needed. Only one electric motor, on the Hydraulic Power Unit. all the driving functions of the crane were by hydraulic motors controlled by proportional hydraulic valves controlled by proportional valve controllers controlled by the PLC. The PLC was interfaced with the rest of the rig control network. there was a siemens HMI and 2 joysticks to control the functions of the crane (traverse left, right, in, out, lower, raise, clamp, unclamp, etc) and ramps assosciated with all these functions

nimanik

Joined Dec 22, 2011
Well I think that the hydraulic parts can not be removed, but how can i protect it's motors against overload i mean how can i input the charactrisics curves of a motor to a PLC ,can a PLC like " logo" sense the overload by it self?

after that can PLC braek the current and open the circuit by it self or it's output should be given to a circuit brakers or conductors?

as i know this kind of cranes need at least 3 motors one for hoisting, one for slewing and one for trolling if each of this motors have to drive diffrently simultaneously can a LOGO drive them at the same time?