Touchless Sink

StevenMifsud

Joined Feb 5, 2009
Hi guys,
I came up to this topic http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=5737 from a google search and would like some usefull tips from about this system.

I'm doing something similer to the adove project.
I bulding a modile of a touch less sink. I'm Using a 2Liter bottel conacted to a pump ( I think I going for the peristaltic pump mationed before)

Water comes out when someone stops the beam from going form the sender to the reciver sensor.

What is the best way to contact the peristaltic pump to the beam-interruption sensors? SO when someone blocks the sensor it tregers the pump and water starts coming out.

Thanks a lot and hope to get some usefull tips,
I need to finish the project till end of March :)

Last edited by a moderator:

StevenMifsud

Joined Feb 5, 2009
I'm not that sure about what pump type to use, I only need a small pump maybe you can give me some advise? And as a sensor I was thingink of a beam-interruption sensors. I'm bulding a modile sample so It doesn't need to be complicated. I just i'm not that into pumps and need some help in that area and how to triger it with a beam-interruption sensors.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
For a pump, you might consider a 12VDC car windshield-washer pump. They aren't very expensive, pump a nice amount of fluid, and run on DC, that will be safe and easy to control. There is a down side, that I don't think will be a problem for your model. They have plastic bearings and are meant to only run for short periods. I tried to use them for an automatic Christmas tree watering system. They had to run too long for that and the bearings melted. :(

Ken

StevenMifsud

Joined Feb 5, 2009
Thanks ken, the windshield washer pump is a good idea i think. Do you happen to know something about beam interruption sensors? and how I can triger on the pump my it please?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Steve,

Google: beam break circuit

That should give you some resources to look at. Have you looked into how the commercial units work? You might Google that too. If you find something you like, we can discuss interfaces to a pump.

Ken

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I'm going to say a qualified...yes. I'm sure I could if it were sitting in front of me, but I don't know what your skill level in electronics is.

Ken

StevenMifsud

Joined Feb 5, 2009
I used to study electronics a few years ago on a basic level. But I know what different components exist and what they are used for. I also used to work in a soldering factory and have a good over all knowledge about electronics. I might manage doing it with same help I think... I hope :)