Topic ideas: need a racial argument as my topic for 6-8 page paper. Im having trouble finding one

HCN1996

Joined Nov 29, 2015
I cant seem to find a racial argument that is broad enough to cover 6-8 pages. If any of you can help me brainstorm ideas I would really appreciate it.

HCN1996

Joined Nov 29, 2015
That's a new type of argument that I am unfamiliar with. Can you elaborate?
It is a race based paper but my professor wants our topics to be phrased in an argument. So I guess an example would be, "Asian people are smarter than everyone else". (just an example, not trying to start anything)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
OK, so do you know about standard methods of constructing an argument?
Like a deductive argument is one where you start with certain premises and by applying logical processes, arrive at a conclusion.
Maybe an inductive argument would work better, where you assume the truth of the conclusion, and try to find the absence of a contradiction.
You need to avoid logical fallacies, both formal and informal, in constructing those arguments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

This sounds like a hard assignment, and I don't envy you for having to do it.

HCN1996

Joined Nov 29, 2015
OK, so do you know about standard methods of constructing an argument?
Like a deductive argument is one where you start with certain premises and by applying logical processes, arrive at a conclusion.
Maybe an inductive argument would work better, where you assume the truth of the conclusion, and try to find the absence of a contradiction.
You need to avoid logical fallacies, both formal and informal, in constructing those arguments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

This sounds like a hard assignment, and I don't envy you for having to do it.
Good advice. I was thinking about centering my paper around how I believe racism is a term thrown around too lightly now. I could back this up by bringing up certain circumstances where you can be called a racist, and then create an argument against it. Im just struggling to believe I can write a quality 6 page paper with this topic. He likes our thesis to outline the rest of the paper so he can follow the argument, and I dont know how I would organize my thesis with this topic. Although, I havent started yet so I might be able to figure it out as I research.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I presume you're asking about how to write a paper about the correlation between educational achievement and the social/economic characteristics or various racial/ethnic groups.

As a radio talk show host once politely said:

"It's fact that blacks and latinos are overrepresented in the criminal justice system and whites and Asians are overrepresented in educational and business and economic achievement". He went on to say, "Blacks are only 13% of the U.S. population, but they are over 50% of the prison population".

The discussion then proceeded with the usual rhetoric about the socio-economic problems among ethnic minorities, but nothing definite came out of the two hours of comments from the listeners.

In summary, the subject based more on "political correctness" rather than logical reasoning and anything contrary to the established social theory will be labeled as being racist and a bigoted.

Last edited:

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I would look at your professor. What gets him fired up? Write something that will get him spun up. It is not about writing something that is universally novel or profound. It is about writing what your professor will find novel or profound. He is your target.

There can be several correct answers to a question, but the only answer that will improve your grade is the one that the teacher thinks is correct.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Good idea Les. I scored some solid A's by choosing a subject that was almost irrelevant to the assignment but targeted the teacher.
"Write about a movie or play and how it manipulates the audience." I did my paper on the first 90 seconds of the sound track from Romeo&Juliet (Olivia Hussy played the lead in that movie.) I completely ignored the big picture and went for a microscopic part of the movie. I didn't just Ace the paper, I Aced the course.:cool:

Currently playing on AAC, this Thread, posts 34 to 37.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/how-i-dominate-society.122047/page-2

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Say things politically correct, whether you agree with it or not. Otherwise, nothing good will come out of this - see the recent story about a professor who almost lost her job using a racial slur in class for educational purposes. She has to go through some racial consciousness rededication as a condition to get her jobs back.

We really live in an "animal farm" society where everyone is equal except some are more equal.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Say things politically correct, whether you agree with it or not.
I disagree. My tactics on this subject have been to take it so far over the top of sounding wrong that it's impossible for anyone to take me serious then play on the where, why and who sets the lines of acceptability or not gets drawn relating to it for the win. ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I couldn't find in that list a fallacy that seems relevant here. It is something like "borrowing authority" by claiming, "everybody" believes a premise.
"If (the undefined) everybody believes it, it must be true." or
"My position is heavily supported by popular belief ." or, "A million people can't be wrong."
On the subject of racial beliefs, a million people can be wrong, and I think this is a major consideration for this assignment.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't get this. Are you expected to uncover a racially correlated difference (such as the view of the OJ verdict, popularity of hip hop), or pick one and advocate one side or the other? In other words, exposition or persuasion?

I also don't get why any teacher would wade into these waters. Highlighting and arguing our differences is not the best way promote civility.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I couldn't find in that list a fallacy that seems relevant here. It is something like "borrowing authority" by claiming, "everybody" believes a premise.
"If (the undefined) everybody believes it, it must be true." or
"My position is heavily supported by popular belief ." or, "A million people can't be wrong."
On the subject of racial beliefs, a million people can be wrong, and I think this is a major consideration for this assignment.
I don't think there is a claim of completeness on wiki pages, but I agree that it should be in the list if it is not already there in another guise.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't think there is a claim of completeness on wiki pages, but I agree that it should be in the list if it is not already there in another guise.
I'm not complaining about Wiki. I just wanted to bring into consideration the fallacy which I think is most relevant for this assignment.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I cant seem to find a racial argument that is broad enough to cover 6-8 pages. If any of you can help me brainstorm ideas I would really appreciate it.
Ever spent time in Japan or know a white guy that has? Most white guys don't know much about discrimination, so this would be an interesting study.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Ever spent time in Japan or know a white guy that has? Most white guys don't know much about discrimination, so this would be an interesting study.
I spent a week in Japan in 1974 as the sole representative of my company. The Mitsui trading company was interested in having us do a kata-kana data entry terminal for the Japanese market. One of the engineers invited me to his home for dinner. It was an hour from downtown Tokyo by train. The locals who boarded the train along the way, were none too happy about being shoulder to shoulder, with a round eyed occidental. As their conversation was obviously directed at me, I could see my friend's face taking on a distinct red color. When I asked him what was being said, he answered that he was too ashamed to repeat it. I felt his pain because I was powerless to do anything since I neither understood nor spoke Japanese. I just smiled and nodded my head. I'm not sure what they thought I was doing.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Racial Profiling ... fact or fiction?

Truth is, everyone does racial profiling. It may be "situation awareness", but, in some cases race becomes the issue. The issue is our own cataloging. What's in the news? What did our parents teach us about the other races? Bad behavior is bad behavior no matter which race is participating in the behavior.

What would one say about a white guy who ended up in a bar in Harlem in 1972? Crazy or just wanting a drink? The black bartender was concerned for his safety, as that honkee was the odd man in that room and stated to him that he could get shot, and he wasn't talking whiskey. Anyway, that sailor had one drink, chatted with a few of the women, wished them all farewell and then went on his merry way. He did notice some of the brothers were giving him the evil eye when he was chatting with the women.

How I ended up in Harlem was I got off the subway at the wrong station. All's well that ended well.

I tend to treat all people the same, until they demonstrate they deserve a different treatment.

Another problem is everyone's moral compass is calibrated differently.