Top2004 Programmer and PIC Programming

bjlevine

Joined Mar 22, 2012
I have a Top2004 programmer which I use to program PIC16C55A MCUs. I've had no problem for the last couple of years, but all of the sudden, it seems to only write the first 512 bytes of code to the chip. I haven't changed any settings in the software. I'm assuming that the programmer has gone bad, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The number "512" is suspiciously a clue as it is a power of 2. Mayhaps there is a bad address line that resets the unit when it should just go high. Or mebby the hex file (if one is used) or the master PROM is gone wrong.

You can get one off EBay for 57 bucks.

bjlevine

Joined Mar 22, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I've already purchased a Genius G540 programmer, which seems to do the job, if I can just decipher the documentation. I much preferred the TopWin software to the program that came with the G540, so I may consider picking up another one.

Does anyone make an inexpensive programmer that works in WIndows 7 64-bit?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
PicKit 3 does not support the PIC16C55A
Actually I made that reservation
The PICKIT 3 is a good and cheap programmer. It should work in windows 64 bit. But only for flash based chips
Funny I have not seen that OTP variants for some years now. I may be that Microchip still make them. But they will be costly like the 16f84 chip. I think it is time to update to newer and cheaper PICs

Last edited: