Top 5 Country Songs Of All Time.

pianomike1957

Joined Jan 1, 2013
Just for fun. Its tough for me to pick one, but I'm gonna pick Willy and Waylon doing "She's a gooood hearted woman in love with a good timin' man". I would be interested to see some more. Caveat... you gotta be a country fan ;)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Trick question.. There are no good country songs :)
truck broke/wife left/dog died.. blah blah blah..
And "Red Solo Cup" will fuel my hatred of country music for years and years to come

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Every time someone says "of all time" it makes me think they're looking for something old. Well, I don't have a whole lot of favorites from the "old" column. I'd say my favorites right now (this changes often) are:
all time favorite: Seminole Wind - John anderson
other favorites:
Smoke rings in the dark - Gary Allan
Pills I took - Hank III
Nashville tears - John Anderson
Independence Day - Martina Mcbride

IMO the 90's was the best era for country music. The stuff before was a little slow and stuff after mostly just sucks.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Back on topic:

5) Stand By Your Man - Tammy Wynette
4) Tennessee Waltz - Patty Page
3) Tumbling Tumbleweed - Sons of the Pioneers
2) El Paso - Marty Robbins
1) Mamma Tried - Merl Haggard

Honerable Mentions:

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
If My Heart Had Windows - Patty Loveless
He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
I've Got Friends In Low Places - Garth Brooks
London Homesick Blues - Gary P Nunn
Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys- Ed Bruce
Old Habits - Hank Williams Jr.

Last edited:

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
1. Vince Gill : Look at us

2. Vince Gill and Patty Loveless : Pocket Full of Gold

3. Brad Paisley and Alisson Krauss : Whisky Lullaby

4. Travis Tritt and Patty Loveless : Out of Control Raging Fire

5. Steve Warnier : Life's Highway

In my humble opinion, some of the most eloquently crafted vocal harmonies ever created are to be found in country songs.

Vince Gill and Alisson Krauss are blessed with voices of sublime, heavenly beauty, that cut accross cultural and language barriers to raise goose-bumps. Quite a few of the duets featuring one or the other of these two country icons would adapt to movie sound-tracks capable of melting hearts.

An honorable mention is due to Bluegrass maestro Ricky Skaggs, one of the finest guitar pickers and vocalists ever to walk this earth.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Johhny Cash is the only country artist that I can listen to.

As far as loosewire's post, I thought of Sam Cooke's "Chain Gang" but maybe it is more like this

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
See you're a John Anderson fan. I caught his act in Ga once, with George Jones.
Now that I think about it, the only country music I've seen in person has been less than memorable. The best act was Darius Rucker, and I'm not a fan. Worst, Big 'n Rich - aweful, I wish I could erase that memory... or just erase Big 'n Rich.

Yes, John anderson might be my favorite. I have more favorites by George Strait, but they aren't as high up on the list as my Anderson favs.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
All time lists are always dependent on one's lifespan, and make one's top 5 a difficult choice.

Artists like Patti Page, who just was nominated for a Grammy, probably hadn't sung for a couple of decades and just passed away at 85. Patsy Cline was also old time country.

I can remember when Tanya Tucker's Delta Dawn came out.

Garth Brooks, Charlie Daniels, Brad Paisley, Gretchen Wilson, Chris Cagle, Red Solvine, Clint Walker, Clint Black, Charlie Pride, and Chris Ledoux come to mind.

The list will be fluid if one wanted to do a fair assessment, making it very difficult for a final decision.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The names helps you to remember songs and titles,every little bit helps.

You need all the "hep" you can 'git' (Honey Let Me Be Your Salty Dog).

Sitting on a log, finger on the trigger ,with my eye on the hog. H L M B Y S D