tool for punching a db9 and db25 hole on panel

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, and they can be quite expensive. How many holes do you need punched? If it is only one or two, then a scribe, drill or scroll saw/coping saw to rough out -- a nibbler also works --, Dremel with carbide burr, and file will work fine.

John

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
Hello,

I know that Qmax do a tool for the 25 way 'D' connector, as I have one. As for the 9 way, I made a tool that I use on the fly press.

Daniel.

Dx3

Joined Jun 19, 2010
I guess this is a good example of the laws of supply and demand. If db9 and db25 connectors were used a lot, say, on every one of the millions of personal computers sold in the last 20 years, the punches to make the mounting holes would be cheap, like $5 each. Right?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Does anyone know of such a tool to punch a hole onto the panel?

VJ

Yes, GREENLEE makes them; I have a 9 pin one right in my hand here. Alas, it's not mine, however....as they're quite expensive. If you plan on doing a LOT of this, it might be worth the investment...but otherwise, you''re best off borrowing one.

Eric

vijaybala85

Joined Jan 7, 2010
Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. Esp the pictures. :()

I think I will have to go with the cheaper option because the circuits I have design are cheaper than the knock out punches. Maybe I will just replace the db9 connectors with something more rectangular and right angled.

V