Too crazy to try?

kirit

Joined Sep 9, 2008
Ok, for the last half day or so, Ive been thinking of basically building a mini-learning lab kit (thingamajig). I discuss parts of this with SgtWookie towards the end of the thread: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=14419

Anyways, my question is: Can I build the powersupply for the breadboard like this one:
http://www.curiousinventor.com/kits/bread_power
I have no skill in soldering and my understanding of electronic components is quiet weak (I just started my CE/EE degree with a class this semester on circuit analysis). Is it worth the time and effort? I love tinkering, but the wife will not look kindly to a project I cant finish. :p

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Are you considering buying the kit and building it? If so, that might be as good introduction to soldering and board construction.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You can certainly do as you say and build the circuit from scratch buying your on components. However, you did profess to just beginning to dabble in the skill sets you need to accomplish a do-it-yourself project.

Your likelihood of a successful completion of the project as well as being able to impress you wife with a working circuit would benefit from taking advantage of the kit as a first step into the wonderful world of electronics. You would also have a handy little circuit board with which to expand on your knowledge further wowing the wife with your engineering prowess.

hgmjr

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'd recommend building a simple variable power supply in a small case, then attaching it with wires. The little microclips Radio Shack has are pretty good for the purpose, and if you build more than one you can have dual power supplies.

It's that or buy the kit. They do have decent breadboards that could do it, but it wouldn't be half as pretty.

Check this out...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=14018

kirit

Joined Sep 9, 2008
May be you all are right. :) I should probably stick to the kit first. Let me do a bit of searching for a good kit/design that will "plug" into the bread board, give me 5v of regulated power, and wont kill me. ;)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
May be you all are right. :) I should probably stick to the kit first. Let me do a bit of searching for a good kit/design that will "plug" into the bread board, give me 5v of regulated power, and wont kill me. ;)
On the contrary, it will be a positive project experience that will give you both a good feel for hobby work as well as acquaint you with soldering skills.

Good Luck,
hgmjr

Soupling

Joined Sep 19, 2008
I believe it would be beneficial for you to try without the kit and buy separate components. You'd gain a better understanding this way and looking at the project from the link you provided and I don't believe its beyond you. A good starter project, I'm fairly new to soldering ( I weld at work so similar principles ) and I'd give it a go! Good luck :D

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
This is a chicken before the egg dilemma. Do you need the skills you would gain from the kit to do this? Or, can you make the kit with your current skills and learn from the kit when it is done?

For me, I learned electronics by a lot of reading and experimenting. I jumped right into board design very early. Sure, some of the boards didn't work right away (without a few cut traces/part 'fitting'), but I learned a lot in the process. I did this because I find it very difficult to get good parts in DIP packages anymore and I like to create things 'custom'.

Steve

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I believe it would be beneficial for you to try without the kit and buy separate components. You'd gain a better understanding this way and looking at the project from the link you provided and I don't believe its beyond you. A good starter project, I'm fairly new to soldering ( I weld at work so similar principles ) and I'd give it a go! Good luck :D
Uh, hate to say this but welding and soldering aren't very similar. Even brazing is pretty different from soldering electronics, and I've done all three.

Soupling

Joined Sep 19, 2008
Uh, hate to say this but welding and soldering aren't very similar. Even brazing is pretty different from soldering electronics, and I've done all three.
Agreed. I only meant that I had more of a general understanding of heating points up, how to apply the solder and the basics. Although not exactly the same, experience in one field can assist in another. It worked for me again everybody is different. Maybe I should of elaborated.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Back to the OP, if you want to make a plug in for this you can get pins mounted single file, and many breadboards will support the format. Won't be as pretty, but it will work. Thing to remember is, you will need things like dual power supplies, and possibly signal/function generators for various experiments. Here is a format I've seen at work and from a local outlet (Tanner's).

The one from Tanner's is single sided, the ones from work use the same 3 hole pattern but are double sided with via holes.

Attachments

kirit

Joined Sep 9, 2008
Ha, finally got my 5v power supply kit from spark fun. Looking at how small the solder holes (??) on the circuit board are quite small. Ack, might have bit more than I can solder.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I can relate. My first major kit was a Radio Shack VOM, I must have been 15 years old or so. I was so focused on the work (innards of the VOM) I absently grabbed the wrong end of the soldering iron. Didn't hurt at first, just bubbled. Pain came later. And this is how we learn where the priorities need to be.

kirit

Joined Sep 9, 2008
ACK! That definetely doesnt sound good. My fingers are pretty good after some icing. Now to the next part of the project building the LEDs into it, and putting switches in (new ones have been ordered.. :)