Too afraid to start your own business? Spend more time around cats.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I read years ago a list of habits that entrepreneurs share. One involved cats as pets - which I dismissed as correlation, not causation. But, recent and quickly evolving research indicates the old correlation may have causation.

It turns out, cats can bring toxoplasmosis oocytes to maturity because of their high linoleic acid content. All other animal "hosts" can only ingest the oocytes and distribute them in nature. Those hosts are useless unless a cat can eventually eat them and bring those oocytes back into a cat to multiply.
Here's the weird part, those oocyte "infections" (infections where the invader does not multiply) cause the host to become less fearful - of anything.

mice are less afraid (even attracted) to cat urine, and wolves will become more aggressive with other wolves to the point they either become pack leader or get driven out of the pack. Humans are more likely to drive aggressively and more likely to start their own business.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/toxoplasmosis-risk-wolves-cats-mice

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
All other animal "hosts" can only ingest the oocytes and distribute them in nature. Those hosts are useless unless a cat can eventually eat them and bring those oocytes back into a cat to multiply.
so how exactly is owning cats supposed to help? unless of course one is eating the cats... cats get the infection by eating raw meat. does that mean one is supposed to eat cat sushi...? one can get the 'courage' from alcohol, marihuana etc. so why get a parasite?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
so how exactly is owning cats supposed to help? unless of course one is eating the cats... cats get the infection by eating raw meat. does that mean one is supposed to eat cat sushi...? one can get the 'courage' from alcohol, marihuana etc. so why get a parasite?
Cats tend scratch in litter boxes and touch their feces as they do it. Then cats walk all over the owner's house, sit on their owner's laps and, god forbid, walk on countertops and tabletops. The oocytes in the soiled paws tend to transfer oocytes all over all types of things an owner tends to put in his/her mouth.

Doctors typically advise pregnant women to not empty litter boxes, stay away from children's sandboxes and any tools associated with the cat. As well as keep the cat away from any cooking and eating areas. And to only eat in areas that the cat has not been in. Most of all, wash hands, wash hands wash hands, and do not put hands in mouths,

So, to be clear, you don't have to eat a cat. Cat's are very good at spreading their diseases and humans are easily lulled into helping them.

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
... one can get the 'courage' from alcohol, marihuana etc. so why get a parasite?
Ive heard people breaking laws to access cannabis called courageous, or lobbying Congress to legalize cannabis called courageous or somehow getting pot to a person in pain called courageous, I've even heard of a business owner starting a pot business with his last dollars called courageous. I've never seen anyone get courage from using marijuana. Cocaine and PCP, yes. Marijuana, nope.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Heh... My cousin who has his degree in horticulture and owns a landscaping and greenhouse plants sales business decided he'd get rich in the hemp business supplying the CBD oil craze. That was a couple of years ago and last I heard he was still over 10k USD in the hole from his one and only licensed crop. Licensing and permit fees along with labor and farming expenses far exceeded sales income. Starting a new business is easy, making a go of it isn't.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Heh... My cousin who has his degree in horticulture and owns a landscaping and greenhouse plants sales business decided he'd get rich in the hemp business supplying the CBD oil craze. That was a couple of years ago and last I heard he was still over 10k USD in the hole from his one and only licensed crop. Licensing and permit fees along with labor and farming expenses far exceeded sales income. Starting a new business is easy, making a go of it isn't.
Does he own a cat?

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
Vaguely related to the topic at hand: besides jumping to all the available horizontal surfaces at home, regardless of the height, cats have another trait: when cats are sitting, their butthole is touching the surface.
Of course it is similar with dogs, but dogs usually don’t jump to the dinner table or the kitchen’s work areas.
If one is a cat owner like myself, one can be sure that one has actually tasted your cat’s butt. :(
As I type this, she is contentedly purring in my lap.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Vaguely related to the topic at hand: besides jumping to all the available horizontal surfaces at home, regardless of the height, cats have another trait: when cats are sitting, their butthole is touching the surface.
Of course it is similar with dogs, but dogs usually don’t jump to the dinner table or the kitchen’s work areas.
If one is a cat owner like myself, one can be sure that one has actually tasted your cat’s butt. :(
As I type this, she is contentedly purring in my lap.
After reading that, I feel like I have to wash my hands.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
And perhaps brush your teeth too... ugh

I have two cats, and we always cleanse every surface in the house before using it ... and still, I prefer cats over dogs ...