Toner Transfer PCB Paper

SpiderSpartanju

Joined Apr 10, 2009
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried using iron on paper like the kind you can use on T-shirts with the toner transfer method of etching your own PCBs. I tried it using glossy magazine paper and it turned out ok, but not great. Had to touch up a lot of places with the sharpy.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I would first trying changing your printer settings. As tshirt heat transfer paper is a wax coated paper that will also transfer onto the pcb causing NO etchant to get to the copper.

You may be able to use it by scrubbing the wax off first, but changing your settings and ironing times and temperatures usually do the trick.

Try doing a google search with your printer type, and 'for toner transfer"

i.e. "HP 9959 for toner transfer"

you should get some results on the best way to set your printer.

Also, the type of toner you use can make a WORLD of difference.

I have tried many papers.. circular pages, or "best buy-type" semi glossy color ads work best.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
pawn shops, goodwill, salvation army, ebay, dumpster diving, ask friends and family if they are going to upgrade, ask at work if they are upgrading. Or ask if they have one laying around that they haven't gotten rid of.

Many people started with laser, then upgraded to inkjets when they started doing color, photos and the such. There are MANY sitting around collecting dust.