toilet tank water level sensor/timer/alarm

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It seems US toilets are rather different to UK ones. Mine has two buttons on the top - one gives a full flush and one gives a reduced flush.
Many new US toilets have dual flush ( I have one).
The old ones have a flapper valve with a chain/strap to the handle.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I use something like this in an apartment I own (link).

They are a little pricey, but being all plastic they do not have corrosion issues like the metal chains do. I was replacing metal chain flappers every 6 to 9 months.

I get maybe 5 years out of this. Failure has been the external handle. No rust issues.
The problem in my area is calcium build up on the flush passage. Then the flapper gets a slow leak.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
My initial idea was an acoustic sensor. Stuck on the tank, it would hear water running much more loudly than other room noises. Then I thought water running in the sink might confuse it, so I went to a conduction sensor.

This is the first pass at a circuit. It covers everything in my initial post, but by the time all of the details are covered it seemed overly complex for the task at hand, and it still might need a true power-on reset addition.

ak
Tank-Alarm-1-c.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Second pass. I don't like giant R-C timers, but there already was a giant R and I wanted a noise filter on the input, so things changed. This whole circuit can be done with only one NAND gate. The two extra inverters work to put a low voltage on the oscillator capacitor in the non-operating state, to reduce leakage current.

I didn't like wasting the oscillator current, and need a very asymmetrical output anyway, so the oscillator capacitor is charged through the beeper to get double-duty from that energy.

All values are approximate. X1 is a self-oscillating piezo beeper. The idea is to pick C2 for the length of beep time, then pick R2 for the inter-beep time. R1 sets the standby current, then C1 sets the turn-on delay.

ak
Tank-Alarm-2-c.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Have you tried probes in the cistern to see if there might be issues with condensation on them or bridging them?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just stopping by to say the clothes washer fill switch is a good idea. They are dead easy to use and mechanically strong.