Joined Dec 17, 2009
do you have this festival there?
On every 11.11 we called it SINGLE DAY.
it is new ,arised recent years.
many "1" mean single.
young people celebrate it,including some married people:cool:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
November 11th is denoted as Veterans day (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterans_day) in much of the western hemisphere. Woodrow Wilson proclaimed 11th day of the 11th month to be a day of remembrance for the war dead. Some add that it is the 11th hour of the 11th day. I don't know the precise reasoning behind it. There is a general feeling of finality to being the 11th hour, as in having an 11th hour reprieve, or he waited until the 11th hour to get it done. However, the contextual meaning is definitely related to eleven (11), not two one's or multiple one's.

John

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Armistice Day ... 11th hour, 11th day, 11th month .... the end of World War I.

Here is a show I put together for the 2002 Veterans Day ... the 25th anniversary of the Vietnam memorial ...
http://www.tech-service.net/downloads/2002_Veterans_Day_Tribute.mp3 It's about 14 minutes long.

I plan to be at the DFW Veterans Cemetary today at 3 pm for the ceremony, followed by another ceremony at American Legion Post 81 in Duncanville, TX after 6 pm.

I like to remember the two former sailors of the USS Indianapolis that I met in my lifetime, both are now deceased, joining their brothers who died that fateful week after their ship was torpedoed as they treaded in that shark infested water.

God Bless all the veterans, everywhere on this planet.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
June 1, 1954, according to the Wikipedia link, the holiday name was changed to Veterans day. The act establishing the holiday to remember all veterans was May 26, 1954 (loc. cit.).

John

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
On many western university. It is single day every weekend.
Baby, let's get together
Honey hush, me and you
And do the things
Ah, do the things
That we like to do
Oh . . .
Do a little dance,
make a little love
Get down tonight
:cool:(From K.C. & The Sunshine - Get Down Tonight)

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
On many western university. It is single day every weekend.
Baby, let's get together
Honey hush, me and you
And do the things
Ah, do the things
That we like to do
Oh . . .
Do a little dance,
make a little love
Get down tonight
:cool:(From K.C. & The Sunshine - Get Down Tonight)
:D:D
here it is also original from university

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
Let's see, you passed your accounting exam, so do you work here?

Mars seems to be a popular place name in China, according to Google. Here is one hit.

John

P.S. Mars, PA is a small town north of Pittsburgh, USA.
:D
its not in accounting area.and even passed the exam, its still a long way to work full time,for i need to internship first.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
June 1, 1954, according to the Wikipedia link, the holiday name was changed to Veterans day. The act establishing the holiday to remember all veterans was May 26, 1954 (loc. cit.).

John

Didn't realize it was that long ago. Some people around here still call it Armistice day, but they grew up in WW II or older eras.

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
Still called Armistice Day (or Remembrance Day) here in Europe.The Armistice saw the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918. The reason the truce was to go into effect on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th Month was as a remembrance of the Feast of the Soldier later Bishop, St. Martin of Tours, which is celebrated on November 11.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Wow, thank you for that bit of history. As I said awhile ago, I did not know why the 11th hour of the 11th day... was picked. Of course, we called it armistice day in the US until Ike change it. I think he did the right thing. It was a horrible war, but it turned out not to be the war to end all wars.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Without being able to use all the services Military Might,
our troops are fighting with there hands tieded. How can
they ask our soldiers to hold there fire and end up dead.
Give a warning like a hurricane leave the area or be killed.
Send In the missles take out the village like a flood or
hurricane would. Why do we put up with this,sending our
troops out every day and leave the territory taken to return to
base. Start the next day with the same plan that the enemy
Is expecting,take It again and go to camp.Take the territory
and keep It.use night scopes to keep the enemy on the run.
Dig In for your life,let the suppy line follow up. What happen to
night missles to hone In on night movment. Why do Americans
not stand up for using all our powers on behave of troops. Set me
staright with your opinion.

Is expecting

Last edited: