to vary the speed of dc motor without varying its speed

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
to vary the speed of dc motor without varying its speed
First off you may wish to correct this thread's title;)

i want to vary the speed of a dc motor without varying its power
The required input power will be a function of AV (i.e. 'speed'), load and efficiency --- I'm uncertain as to your meaning with 'not vary the power'...:confused:

IOW -- More info please!:)

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Hi,i am an engineering student i want to vary the speed of a dc motor without varying its power. Plzz help me!!
Plzz explain your problem better (whatever plzz means :confused:).
What type of dc motor?
You can vary the speed of a shunt-field dc motor by varying the field current.

Pulse width modulation allows you to control the 'speed' of a motor without changing the voltage by changing the duty cycle - but in an AC setting. If you use an ac power source and a filter circuit (Google is your friend) to prevent it from dipping below 0V, you might have some luck.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Pulse width modulation allows you to control the 'speed' of a motor without changing the voltage by changing the duty cycle - but in an AC setting. If you use an ac power source and a filter circuit (Google is your friend) to prevent it from dipping below 0V, you might have some luck.
@narinder kaur -- Pursuant to the above - Please consider, for instance, a 'phase control' circuit but employing an SCR (as opposed to a triac) as the power switching device... Be advised, however, that a (monopolar) PWM controller is the standard (and, in most applications, optimal) approach...

Best regards
HP