to do a mini project in college

dark dragon

Joined Dec 11, 2008
http://picasaweb.google.com/vishnu89chand/Project#5278540500885089778discrb about me:this is my first project and our sir said tat he wont help us so i asking u
project: "adding and subbracting 2 single digit (base 10) number"
i have created all blocks upto my knowledge so i need guidelines of practical implemetation....
i also attacted blocks of operation i created

plz see the block here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/vishnu89chand/Project#5278540500885089778discrb

explantion of block:
I/p: i prefer to place keypad for getting input
buffer: 4 bit Parallel In Parallel Out shift register (2 number with complemented clk)
(to store addend when clk is active low and augend when clk is high)
process: it is bcd adder cum subbractor
O/p : i prefer to use 7 segment disply

actual problem now i am facing:
1)i dont know how to use keypad i need circuit of that and how to use it
2)is there any other way of storing addend and augend (is it necessary)
3)how to use 7 segment display
any suggestion of my circuit how to futher simplify it and make it more Relaiable
any other idea for this process

Attachments

Last edited:

kahafeez

Joined Dec 2, 2008
bt if u r in the 1st year or 2nd year then this might not be a very good approach.... anyways i'll tell u what i know abt a few components

1. keypad: scanning a keypad through a microcontroller(uC) is very easy. in case u dont want to use it. u can use the dtmf thing. this way each key is identified by the freq it generates... encoder ic are helpful to detect which key is pressed... dont know much abt dtmf bt its simple. not that complex u can try it out. dtmf stands for dual tone multiple freq. google it for more info.

2. 7 seg. a 7 seg should have 8 pins. 7 for data and one is common. actually a 7 seg is 7 light emit diodes. so one is common. and there are two types of 7 segments. common anode or common cathode. if its a common anode then the common pin should be given Vcc or 5V or something like this. in case the 7 seg is a common cathode type then the common pin should be given ground.... i dont know abt buffers. and processer. may be u should used gates or something. and i think an ALU(arithmetic logic unit) is what u want to design. its easy and u can find it easily on the net as its a very common semester project.