Tips to build an ultrasound receiver and amplifier circuit

davidvaca21

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I need to build an ultrasound receiver and amplifier circuit for my project. The summary of the design is that an ultrasound transducer provided by my mentor would send a 2Mhz ultrasound wave which would be received by the circuit i need to make. This circuit would then turn a NIR light on the circuit on and off. So I was thinking of using a 2 MHZ quartz crystal as the sensor for the circuit, the quartz would receive the 2MHZ ultrasound signal and tell the circuit to turn on the NIR light. I was wondering what are some tips to approach designing the circuit for this project and also how I would figure out what parameters to use. Since the quartz is only receiving the signal, what would I use to power the light, I was thinking a battery but how would I implement that in the circuit?

These are the quartz crystals I have available. https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Comp...l-Timing-Devices/Crystals/_/N-6zu9f?P=1z0wo7v , I think I'm suppose to figure out how much resistance, voltage,etc I need based on the data sheet.

and this is the NIR light we were thinking about using since 808 nm seems to be the best wavelength that fit the guidelines for our project.
https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=L808P010

I am completely new to circuits so I was wondering where I could start in designing this circuit. We were assigned projects outside our field to tackle.

davidvaca21

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yes, they actually do propagate through water, our mentor has an immersion transducer that can send the signals through water at 2mhz. However, due to time constraints, he said that we can have the signals just go through air if that makes the project easier. I'm not sure how different our design and approach would be depending on which one we choose.

davidvaca21

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I found the post. It seems like the student also got to the point where they decided to use a quartz sensor and decided to make an amplifier receiver circuit. There weren’t any mentions of how they started the process to create the circuit though. Are there any resources I could use to figure out how to get started on the circuit and also how would I figure out what kind of voltage,capacitance,etc id need for the parts.