Tips on Class A amplifier

asbus09

Joined Nov 24, 2009
Hi,

I've become really intressted in amplifiers lately so I've decided to build a class A amp.
I've recently built a TDA2050 chip amp, and I wan't something just a little bit sharper then that.

So..I need tips on great amps (no chip amps though). Max 100W output at 8Ω. Links with PCB's much appreciated!

Cheers

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Why class A? They wasted a lot of power as heat. A push pull amp class B or AB would be much more efficient. 100w is a fair amount of heat and stress on the semiconductor.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Hopefully you realise the efficiency of a class A amp is in the range 10% to 25% (the theoretical maximum).

If you still go ahead with this I will watch with interest as I only know of a handfull of transistor designs ever built at this power level.
In fact it is easier to use valves (tubes).

asbus09

Joined Nov 24, 2009
Actually, it does not has to be a class A. I just thought they're easiest to build?

This time I rather go with transistors, I don't quite find the charm in tubes, like many people does!

If you guys got any links including PCB on any (any class at all) transistorized amp I'd be very grateful!

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Why not go with one of the new GOOD chip amps? Fantastic freq response, ultra low distortion, built in portection, automatic dethump etc etc.

Here's one, this one has a massive regulated DC +/-35v PSU so the amp chips are fed with zero-ripple DC voltage;
http://www.romanblack.com/gainamp.htm

The huge regulated DC PSU;