Tips for impressive resume

microcontroller60

Joined Oct 1, 2019
Hi everyone!
I have created sample resume and uploaded for experts reviews. Please let me know which section needs to improve. Is there need to create table like for education. do the bullet points i have used for techinical skills and work experience looks good

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Although you have listed your technical skills and experience, your resume will not impress anyone with your communication skills.
The first criticism I have is the title that you use. It is too brief and does not define what you are. "Electronic Embedded Systems Engineer" is a little more definitive.

In you profile summary, your first paragraph is fine, but you should continue in a similar way with your experience. Make sentences out of it rather than a bare list. e,g: "I have experience in programming in C, using a variety of different controllers including ARM, PIC and AVR. I have successfully written programs using various IDEs such as Keil, MPLAB Xc8 and ATMEL Studio and have experience with a number of different interface protocols such as UART, SPI and I2C.

It makes much more interesting reading than a bare list, so it leaves a much better impression. Try to do the same for the rest of the resume but keep it to the point and don't make it too repetitive.

I hope this helps you to get the job of your dreams.

Good luck,
Keith

microcontroller60

Joined Oct 1, 2019
Although you have listed your technical skills and experience, your resume will not impress anyone with your communication skills.
The first criticism I have is the title that you use. It is too brief and does not define what you are. "Electronic Embedded Systems Engineer" is a little more definitive.
Please view revised resume
Which sequence will better ? Should I put education details before work history

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
You have it in the right order, with the most relevant items first, but it is still mostly in point form and very boring to read.
I have been in the electronics industry as as a systems engineer for very many years. I have been in the position of reviewing the resumes of applicants for positions in Hewlett Packard, the company I worked for. Keep in mind that they are real people who will be reviewing your application and will be reading much more than your listed skills and experience into the way you have presented your resume. Try to write it in a way that the person reading it looks forward to meeting its author.
This is the first chance you have to introduce yourself to the company you would like to work for, so make it a little bit more than just list of knowledge and achievements.
You are marketing your self to the company. If you were in a restaurant and wanted to order a tasty meal, which menu would you prefer; one that just listed the ingredients of the dishes or one that gave a full description?

Last edited:

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Include dates of all volunteer and work experience. Include exact locations and names of companies. Include a references section. If you don't have a valid work reference, use anyone who trusts you and include at least 2. The overall syntax of your document needs correction. If English is not your first language, take some lessons.

And finally, be honest. Don't waste their time or yours with embellishments.

Doing this will vastly improve your chances of getting a call. Good luck.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
To emphasize what Panic Mode just mentioned:

If you boast in your resume: “I designed this XYZ widget”, any competent interviewer will drill down on that statement.

For instance, he might say: “OK, and what microcontroller did you use, and most importantly, why did you decide to use that particular microcontroller?”

You might attempt to deflect the question by saying “This is the microcontroller everybody in the company uses”.

To which he may retort back: “OK, but if it were up to you, would that particular microcontroller have been your first choice and why or why not?”

In a few simple questions, the interviewer will quickly be able to assess whether you are legit or just a phony.

If all you did was help to test and validate the firmware, just say so, and any lessons learned from the experience.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As being said, you cannot make your resume more impressive than your actual experience.
The resume will reflect the truth.

The interview will test your listening skills, how you communicate, and how your brain functions. The resume doesn't matter anymore.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In your resume you should put dates, in chronological order, with most recent first, for example:

2021 - present: Internship at ABC Systems testing PRS systems
2020-2021: Coop placement at JKL Instruments company assisting in design of cdef systems.
2017-2021: Completed 4-year program in Electronics Technician Certification at XYZ School of Technology
2014-2017: Attended RST High School, graduated with 1st Class Honours

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
what not to do ( we have seen )

a) different fonts in different parts , almost random bold / italic
b) Pictures, especially ones that show "private" parts of the body
c) Multi colour text, Especially not red or green, keep it black
d) coloured paper
e) perfumed paper
f) more than two sides,
g) note that "uncle" said I should apply
h) note that "uncle" is your boss

Top tip,
aim of resume is to get you through first sift,
think of employee having 500 applicants, they have 30 seconds per CV on first sift
make top of front page a highlight / key points, and keep it relevant
i.e. don't hide on page 4 that you have worked 4 years in Paris , if job is for a English / French work environment,
Suggest that you tailor the front page for each application,

and have resume review by some one more experience you trust,
I'm dyslexic, and auto correct can make some interesting change I don't realise...

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The best advice for a good resume is to start early. As in, work really hard in High School and University. Make sure you understand the topic well - it's not enough to just get an "A". Understand. After that, try to get an internship or co-op program (you should have asked at your school if they helped arrange internships or co-ops before you picked your university. Do well, and stay in touch with your internship mentor so you can use them as a reference when you start looking for a job.

Keep a list (and photos) of projects you have completed. Keep a list of any benefits you brought to your co-op/internship employer, etc.

Also, employers look for EXCELLENCE. A good example of that was a father that told his kid, "I'll give you $100 of you get straight "A"s on your report card but only $10 if there is one B. Anything worse than that, you're just average and you're lucky I don't ask you to pay me for your poor performance".

If you start early, writing a good resume is easy. Also, if you didn't do the above, there is likely a resume in your prospective employer's stack of someone who did. If that's the case, you better be creative to get noticed. Alternatively. look for jobs/companies that someone with EXCELLENCE would not submit their resume. Last (but good) option - start your own business.

Last edited: