Tipping Bucket Rain Gauges Tips Measurement

Jargo

Joined Jul 30, 2013
I dun understand about the measurement of the tipping bucket rain gauge. Each tip of rain water might be 0.1mm, 0.2mm and 0.5mm with different calibration. What i dun understand is 0.1/0.2/0.5mm of each tip is the height of the bucket of the height of the small cylinder in the bucket ?

Anyone familiar with such project ? Can give me some guide?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A tipping bucket rain gauge is a simple see-saw mechanism that tips each time one side of the bucket has accumulated a certain volume of liquid.

There is no height of any cylinder involved. It is not a cylindrical bucket. It is a wedge-shaped cavity that holds a certain volume before it tips and dumps its contents.

You need to count the number of times it tips in order to determine the total volume of rain that has fallen over a period of time. The volume for each tip is determined by calibration.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
And how the data logger of this tipping bucket function ?
The datalogger counts the number of times the "bucket" is filled and tips over. Each time the bucket tips, a pulse is sent to the datalogger. Depending in the capabilities of the datalogger the inches or cm of rain is the number of pulses times the volume of the bucket, divided by the surface are of the collection funnel.
Anyone can give a simple summary about the circuit of tipping bucket rain gauge ?
The circuit is generally a simple optical beam-break switch, or a magnetic reed or Hall Effect switch that provides a voltage pulse each time the bucket mechanism tips.
And any other mechanism for this type of rain gauge ?
The auto-empting types are tipping-bucket or self-siphoning. The measuring methods are volumetric, depth ,or weight. Google is helpful here for more in-depth info of each type of system.

What i dun understand is 0.1/0.2/0.5mm of each tip is the height of the bucket of the height of the small cylinder in the bucket ?
From:http://www.stevenswater.com/catalog/stevensProduct.aspx?SKU=%2748195%27
The bucket tips when precipitation of 0.01 inch, 0.2mm, 0.5mm or 1.0mm has been collected. Each tip activates a reed switch closure which is detected by a data logger and/or telemetry system.

Ken

Last edited: