Timing time delays and checking drive capabilities of a TTL IC

amjg92

Joined Dec 14, 2010
Hi,
I have a project where I have to find the time delay and the drive capabilities of a TTL gate. ex of a 7404 inverter... i know I have to vary the voltages for drive capabilities and plot some graph but i have no idea what to do for the time delay. Something as easy as possible is prefered. Any idea how pls? thanks beforehand

amjg92

Joined Dec 14, 2010
I have searched for datasheets I found some which gave graphs but did not find and method of obtaining measurments

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Hi,
I have a project where I have to find the time delay and the drive capabilities of a TTL gate. ex of a 7404 inverter... i know I have to vary the voltages for drive capabilities and plot some graph
Not sure what you mean by this. TTL is 5V standard that has to be kept within the lower and upper limits of 5V in order for it to operate properly. Each chip is also rated for maximum 'Fan Out' that specs how many TTL inputs it can drive.

Sorry if I've misinterpreted your question.

amjg92

Joined Dec 14, 2010
at CDRIVE. I need to know the proper limits where the TTL begins to read the voltage as LOW and the Voltage as HIGH like the boundary conditions.
@papabravo This is very helpful thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The delay measurements can be done with a two channel oscilloscope.

The tables showing input and output HIGH and LOW voltages should give you some clues about how to set up an experiment. You need an adjustable voltage source on the input and you need to be able to locate the switching points.