Timing of objects passing a fixed point?

JAYVEE144

Joined Jun 7, 2013
Hello All, I am a newbie to this forum and would like to pick your brains.I am trying to find equipment that would achieve the above objective. My layman's thinking envisages a transmitter at the fixed point, and receiver(s) on the passing object(s).The said receiver would need to record and store a time at a number of fixed points which would be downloaded at a later time giving details of points passed in what sequence and at what time. I hope this explains my objective clearly.

I hope this is not presumptive from a newbie and is not a misuse of this forum? If so, Mea Culpa

jayvee144

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What you describe is very similar to timing systems for 5k and 10k races. They use ankle or wrist straps with an RFID tag. Each tag has a unique ID number. Almost a mini version of fastPass for toll roads. All data is saved with time stamp into a database or excel sheet.

What is your application, number of objects passing the reader, access to power on reader and object, access to PC on the reader?

you can use rfid tags as GopherT said.. making the transmitter ask the location of the rfid tag, then momentarily makes a data on location at that specific moment in time.. making the data be put into a spreadsheet, depends how frequent it will be is for you to decide..

JAYVEE144

Joined Jun 7, 2013
What you describe is very similar to timing systems for 5k and 10k races. They use ankle or wrist straps with an RFID tag. Each tag has a unique ID number. Almost a mini version of fastPass for toll roads. All data is saved with time stamp into a database or excel sheet.

What is your application, number of objects passing the reader, access to power on reader and object, access to PC on the reader?
Thank you for your interest and help.
The plan is to use this timing system in a motorsport event. Maybe 100 cars passing 50 different timing points.The tx and rx/timer would need to be battery powered and compact.
Do you have any idea where these items can be sourced and at what cost?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The reader is the expensive part in an RFID system. Most systems use a PC and require a runner to pass within 2 to 4 meters of an RFID reader. Motorsports are going to be difficult because of the distance and the speed.

Search "RFID motorsports" on google.
One option is, http://www.hardcardsystems.com/components/

I have no experience with this company but they claim high-speed and distance from the reader can be overcome with their system.