Times to use the IM chat-box

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Hey, guys, Bill and I were talking about when to use the IM chat-box (http://xat.com/All_about_circuits) and setting up times times to use it, since we have members from GMT-5(me and Bill) to GMT+8 (lightfire), and everyone in between, we were thinking that saturadys or sundays would work best, and that 2 times at 1AM and 1PM GMT might work well, but that's just us and we figured there would probably be other ideas, so here you go.
have at :D

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Because the message would have been too short otherwise. VBulliten does not consider an answer under 10 characters valid.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Actually, everytime we chat, it's around 1 to 2 o'clock whoa! >.< here in the philippines. im bored always because im only one there in the computer. grrrr

good thing mom and dad is ok for that. :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
In the morning or evening? :D

You need to include AM or PM with time.

According to my calculations you are 13 hours ahead of me. This means 6:39PM is your 7:39 AM Sunday morning.

This is why we used GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), a universal time standard.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
THat is the "popular" name but since long time it is formally called UTC.

One of the best conventions of the modern world.

As a seaman I had to deal continuously with it to calculate ETAs and also actual transit time of a voyage.

FUnny hing is when you cross the Date line. On a ship you have time to ge used to it but in a plane that is a different story. :confused:

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
In the morning or evening? :D

You need to include AM or PM with time.

According to my calculations you are 13 hours ahead of me. This means 6:39PM is your 7:39 AM Sunday morning.

Oh, I forgot to say. :) AM! go!:D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
THat is the "popular" name but since long time it is formally called UTC.

One of the best conventions of the modern world.

As a seaman I had to deal continuously with it to calculate ETAs and also actual transit time of a voyage.

FUnny hing is when you cross the Date line. On a ship you have time to ge used to it but in a plane that is a different story. :confused:
It is the only name I have ever used, and at 54 years old I don't see myself changing. I'd rather communicate and be understood than technically correct in a way that doesn't matter. Until this post I had never heard of the UTC.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I wish I could, but I have to do chores, study, and clean, and study for more stuff... and maybe build a projector, but by then you'll be asleep...
theres always next weekend.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
so does a mod want to sticky this or make a new thread about the chat-box (or whatever it's called) and sticky that so that newcomers know about it?
I had no idea it existed till a couple days ago.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
So we are talking about 0100Z and 1300Z ?

Bill,

UTC is used more by those in the time service business. In the military it's always Zulu which is GMT. The wierdest time difference was Newfoundland CA ... 1.5 hours ahead of eastern time. They are in the Atlantic Time Zone.

Of course, if one wanted to be a smarta$$, they could ask if it was UT1 or some other subset of UT. I've not used those terms in quite some time but if I'm not mistaken, UT1 is the offset for polar warble.

http://stjarnhimlen.se/comp/time.html has a good description of time scales.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Their are whole catalogs of things I don't know. If you had said GMT I would know exactly what you're talking about, while UMT (or UT, or CUT) I wouldn't have a clue.

A good timekeeping site that may disappear when Congress cuts the budget (hope not)...

http://www.time.gov