Timer to Control 12V DC motor

gregade

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Hello, Please help me with a simple programmed circuit to control on and off of a 12V dc motor.

the ON time to be 1min and
the OFF time to be 6hrs (360mins)

the idea is that the circuit will turn on the motor for just 1minute and it will be in off position for the next 360mins (6hrs) before it is switched on again for 1minute and this will continue unless it is switched off.

please, I need this circuit as very urgent as it is the only thing remaining for me to complete my final year project. I will very grateful to find help here.

thanks.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Looks like you need an application using a real time clock, such as incorporating a 32Khz watch crystal.
It could be done simply with a small PIC micro but I don't know whether you want to get into that much detail?
Max.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
How about a plug in wall timer driving a 115VAC coil relay to control the motor. I think the digital ones will allow cycle times of 1 minute. Or use a mechanical one (15 minute minimum cycle time) driving a relay that powers a 1-minute 555 monostable that controls (directly or through a transistor or relay) the motor.

Ken

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Timer....McMaster-Carr 7993K73 $19.34
Relay....McMaster-Carr 7098K12 $11.84
Don't know where you are but for me, if I order by 3PM I have it by 11AM the next day for ~$5 ground shipping
You may have other sources for the timer, like hardware stores. If this is an academic institution, ask around for a 120VAC relay.
Ken

gregade

Joined Sep 22, 2013
thank you all, you are all wonderful. I have this idea but I don't know if it can work.
I am thinking of connecting the output of an astable multivibrator(360minutes) to the input of a monostable multivibrator. then the output of the monostable(1minute) to the relay to switch on the motor. please, can that work?