timer for livewell pump

seabear

Joined Feb 20, 2009
ok, running into some problems. Since I couldn't get the dual 555 to work with your diagram, I decided to go to a very basic circuit just to see if I could pulse an LED. Here are the components:

disch -----POT vari resistor---- thres
disch --- 10k res ---vcc+12v
contr v --- .01 uf----gnd
reset-----vcc+12v
gnd --- gnd
output --- 560 ohm res ---- LED ---- gnd
thres --- jumper --- trig
trig --- 100uf --- gnd

I can pulse LED fine and control it with the POT for a 50/50 duty cycle, but when I try to add a connection from output to a 12v relay, (output---relay----gnd) the relay will close on the pulse but when its time to let go it chatters for a half second or so before it releases. I tried putting a diode 1N914 in series with the input lead of the relay to prevent any disconnect feedback but that didn't help..??

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Should be a bit more substantial than a 1N914, something of at least 1A current like a 1N400x series and it goes in parallel with the coil, cathode end to the positive end of the relay coil.

seabear

Joined Feb 20, 2009
ok, got a beefed up diode and that took care of the problem, now I'll go tinker and try to get the more complex version to work. thanks

seabear

Joined Feb 20, 2009
OK, got side tracked for a few months, but now back on it. I decided to build a simplified circuit first just to verify the basic operation. I have used two separate 555 timers and instead of the switches I just limited both timers to one single capacitor and resistor path. I also adjusted the values down so that I could see the action in seconds rather than in minutes or hours. I think I have it working to a degree but one major thing that I did was to connect R5 to +12v rather than to ground. Is that what you intended or do I have something really messed up? When I do it this way I can get a pulse off of timer 1 every 10 seconds or so, and then on the trailing edge of the pulse I get timer 2 to pulse for about 2 seconds (all controlled by my cap/res values)..