Timer circuits.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The recent Boston murders have exacerbated my worry about the large number of requests for timer circuits. Surely, most such requests are innocent, but does this concern anyone but me?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Not that I help out a whole lot on this forum, I was very active in a programming form. It always concerned me that I might be helping someone to do harm to others, I have the same concern here.

Our alternative is to keep our knowledge to ourselves, that way no one ever learns anything.

I think our countries can do much more to prevent transfer of knowledge, to those that might use it against us.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Most of these guys are either too stupid or ignorant to have the patience for this kind of work. Those who have the expertise will not come here. I don't loose any sleep over it.

There are enough kits and whatnot they don't need us.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Most of these guys are either too stupid or ignorant to have the patience for this kind of work. Those who have the expertise will not come here. I don't loose any sleep over it.

There are enough kits and whatnot they don't need us.
I have often thought about it. They have plenty of resources on the net. This just goes to show any "Nitwit" can pull something like this off.

Especially if we find out their is a cell of individuals working together. Now you have a collective, with one goal in mind.

We have to get better at locating them, stopping it before it happens.

Edit: You shouldn't feel guilty. They're the criminals.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In any large population of humans, some of them will find a way to abuse ANYTHING.
That doesn't mean we have to shut down our normal daily activities, like teaching beginners how to connects LEDs and 555 timers. The whole world would grind to a halt if everybody just quit because of the inevitable nut-case here and there.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Ever since 9/11/2001 I've been cautious about timer circuits.

The increased IED's in the sandbox only amplified that concern.

You don't have to respond to posters.

I agree that LED driven timer circuits should pose no problem.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Not really, wiring it up to a cell phone is probably much easier then actually making a timer circuit. Plus I would imagine components would need to be shipped so they would be trackable. You can buy a throw away cell phone anywhere in the world anonymously.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
To me it's like the NYC transit saying "if you see something say something." It implies you don't live your life any differently, but if something comes up, if something looks weird then you do something.

I don't remember the details but a year or so ago I read a post, possibly a cell phone activated switch, and the poster had a weird usage implying a non-native speaker. With a huge potential for abuse I did not answer his request, and reported the post. The repost lead no where, the thread was allowed to stay, which I was fine with. I was happy I did not contribute any information with "serious abuse potential."

With the recent incident it was made plain time after time the bomb was made out of a pressure cooker, as many IEDs in the sandbox are, and as the NYC Times Square bomb was. Gee guys, somehow living 10 miles from NYC that fact escaped me and I don't think it serves any purpose to make graphics showing how the pressure cooker bomb was made.