Timer circuit for cooler water pump

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
what size is your swamp cooler?

Normally the water feed in the U.S. is from an tapped outside spigot. The water pressure allows the water to fill the bottom of the swamp cooler.

Attached is a manual for a 3000 cfm model.
we dont have any cfm type rating. we have a simple, semidesert, and desert type coolers. mine is 4-5 feet tall and 3-3.5 feet wide desert. it has a 60 liter tank at the bottom and we have a small pump motor to take water to the upper tank. this tank has holes at edges on three sides to drop water on the walls stuffed with a special grass. now if the grass is just wwet we get a cool and dry air. if water keeps running there is humidity and cooling is not much. and we desperately need cooling now. its 44 degrees and supposed to rise to 48-49 degrees. so i am trying to just keep the walls wet to avoid humidity. for this there is an adjustable timer I've made.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Maybe what you need is for the pump to run at a lower rate of speed?

If it is an AC powered pump motor, perhaps you could obtain a pump with a lower CFM/CMM rating?

Stopping and starting a motor at intervals will decrease your overall water flow, but the motor current on start-up will be quite high compared to the current when the pump has reached operating speed.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
One big problem that you have is the suns' rays heating the walls of your building.

If you can somehow keep the sun from directly beaming on the walls and roof, they will not be heated as much.

If the walls or roof are a dark color, they will absorb a great deal more heat than if they were painted white. White will reflect most of the heat, and will help a great deal to keep the interior cooler.

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
there is no way of avoiding the sun. we have off white colour exterior, but still it isnt much helpful. we cannot colour our terris and more over its a government staff quarters so no modifications. the only way is to cool our house. though we have planted trees and bushes in our garden and water them daily and it keeps house a bit cooler than others. but still what can you expect at 43-48 degrees? its just horrible!!!

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
the circuit is mostly complete and i've managed to make it in a dollar. since i had the transformer and 555 chips already. pump replacement would have gone costly and anyways the nuts and fitting is all rusted badly. I'l have to break some nuts and screws. since we oil the pump regularly its free to work but removing it is not a good idea. even if we break it open then the assembly would be damaged too and we will have no place to fit a new motor.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just curious, can you get ice? Seems on the worst days you might be able to put ice on the bottom, then it would be really cool (for an hour or so).

Wookie has a really good point. Build a lean to to keep the direct sunlight off this sucker, it will work much better. Color of paint also matters.

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
Just curious, can you get ice? Seems on the worst days you might be able to put ice on the bottom, then it would be really cool (for an hour or so).

Wookie has a really good point. Build a lean to to keep the direct sunlight off this sucker, it will work much better. Color of paint also matters.
how many worse days do you expect? its whole 2-3 months. from april to june perhaps sometimes till 2nd week of july sometimes and after august sucks.
do you mean that ice in the lower tank? a 60 liter tank is used up in just 3 hrs during the day. how much ice to use? a quintal daily? rather it would be cheaper to buy and run an AC!!

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Inadequate cooling and excessive humidity both are solved by increaseing the airflow in the house ... by opening the windows.

roltex_rohit123

Joined Jan 1, 2010
Inadequate cooling and excessive humidity both are solved by increaseing the airflow in the house ... by opening the windows.
house starts heating when a window is completely open, so we keep about 1/4 open to just let air pass. we keep the fan at low speeds about 200rpm and periodically switch on and off the pump. this is working quite good and we dont get humidity and cool rooms in 2hrs.