Timed Release - push button door bell, to ensure longer connection/crossover

nodecentral

Joined Feb 14, 2016
Hi

I have an old fashioned push button (two wire) door bell connected to a wireless switch sensor (NO) which looks out for when the button is pushed to send a single to a central controller.

Unfortunately when ever someone pushes the door bell button, it is not long enough for the sensor to get a good reading to send something to the controller .

Therefore I'm either looking for something that will hold the switched action for a few seconds - or I would consider replacing the push button itself with a better one that has a timed release. So that the sensor can get the best possible reading .

Does anyone know of anything I could use for either option?

I'm new to electronics so hopefully I have explained myself ok :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
it is not long enough for the sensor to get a good reading to send something to the controller .
This sounds like the sensor is bad. In digital electronics, we typically have to slow the circuits down to avoid repeating several 'send" signals for the slightest bump on the push button.

nodecentral

Joined Feb 14, 2016
Thanks -

all I know is that I need the closed connection when the button is pushed, to stay connected for a longer period of time so that is sends a stronger signal back to the controller.

Currently when someone pushes it, it stays closed only for a split second when they release their finger - which the sensor seems to sometimes ignore.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Have you tried to localize the problem by removing the pushbutton and touching the wires together? If it works well then, you know that the problem is with the pushbutton; if not, then the problem is more likely the sensor.

Is there voltage on the pushbutton wires, and if so, what voltage is there?

nodecentral

Joined Feb 14, 2016
Hi,

Sorry for my poor explaination, here are the items in the current set up

1) Victorian 2-Wire Push Button doorbell. (No voltage that I can tell)
2) A visionic door/window sensor - http://www.jclautomation.com/docs/73933.pdf

The connection that is made by the button (when pushed) last for a split second, which is not strong enough for the sensor to read it. So I'm looking to do something that will allow the buttons press to last longer.

nodecentral

Joined Feb 14, 2016
I can probably replace the old push button in the door bell, but either way, I'm looking for something that will hold the connection for a few seconds when it's pushed?

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Use a 555 to lengthen the signal to the controller. Had this same problem with my driveway bell. I use a video camera with a motion detector, the output of the motion detector wasn't long enough to make the bell complete the full ding-dong cycle. I built a 555 one shot and stuck it between the sensor and the relay I am using to ding the bell.