Timed Delay Signal Output

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great NY

Joined Nov 21, 2009
hi, as you can probably see from my post count i am very new here. I have been browsing this forum all day and you guys are outstanding.

Im a mechanic and am very knowledgeable about basic electrical issues. but when it comes to electronics, im not the sharpest knife in the bunch.

anyway, i have a project that im working on for my car. I am trying to make something that will automatically Turn-off my TCS (traction control) when i start the car, but after the initial function allow regular use of the factory switch.

here is a schematic of the TCS button

the button itself is a Momentary switch which basically completes the circuit to send a trigger and opens once released. from the looks of the schematic its very simple, looks like it triggers by a ground, correct?

What i need is something that will take the signal(12v i believe) going into the switch, take it and delay it for 10 seconds, then pass it to the the other wire. which should in turn switch off my TCS. but i will need it to shut off after the initial so the button can be used normally.

I read that the 555 timer has something called "one shot pulse" i went to radio shack and brought the 555 timer chip, and some resistors and capacitors.

but i am honestly unsure which ones to use and how to hook them up. do i need a board or something? or is just connecting them all via 22ga wire feasible?

any info would be outstanding, i want to ask for an actual schematic on how to hook it up, but i think that would be asking for too much being a newb. so if you can tell me what parts to get to setup up a 10second delay to output a "one shot pulse" it would be greatly appreciated.

THank you very much for your time.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I would really like to help you with this, but I feel that would violate the Forum rules (safety, property damage).

Any modification of the braking controls of your vehicle would require extensive testing, and would require certification before implementation.

We simply do not have the capability nor funding to do that extensive testing, nor could the Board nor you absorb the liability costs should you become involved in a tragic accident.

I'm sorry, but this topic is beyond the scope of the Forums.

I am recommending to the Staff that it be closed due to the hazards involved in your project.

I'm genuinely sorry, but it is in your best interests - and this Forums' interests as well.

The Great NY

Joined Nov 21, 2009
i can turn it off when i start the car by pressing the factory button, i just want it to turn off by itself when i start the car.

there really isnt any testing needed. i just want to build a simple circuit that does the first press of the button so to speak, 10 seconds after i start the car.

ok, how bout this, i need a delayed power circuit that turns on an LED after 10 seconds, lol

im just messing... but it really that big of an issue? i dont see a liability issue at all considering it can be turned off anyway

also the site wouldnt be funding anything.

10 second delay then send out put. then shutdown after 1 second pulse

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I have to agree with SgtWookie on this one - there is a potential for harm here. We reach a wider audience than one member on any subject. The code states:
Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.