When you are researching,you never know what you will find, a pun

from T06 an interactive map that shows ocean going vessels at port

all over the world. At the same time today I was assisting another

researcher,so making your day can be ok. I am going to take a few

minutes and see if I can find two ships passing in the night. See you

soon.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Your 2 ships are the AMFITRITI, a Tanker from Liberia, and the HARMONY SW, from Panama. Search them in the morning and see hoe far apart they are.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Have you checked out the map,I was just looking ships on Tames,in the middle of

London. What do you think about the map,just like video game. Stantor the submarine

man. Let me know if you spot a sub.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Let me know if you spot a sub.
You'll only spot a sub if the sub wants to be spotted. You have about a 30 minute window from the time it leaves the pier, until it disappears from the AIS system. Even if you do see one, there's no guarantee that its location, course, speed, and destination are correct. digital ghost ship

they aren't censored from google maps though.
Trivia: where submarines are made.

Last edited:

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Did you hear about the farce involving our new boats?

They designed them to be fitted with more modern reactors, but these were scrapped. When they came to trying to install them the old ones were too big to fit, so they have had to make the whole boat fatter. :rolleyes:

Bad engineering.

Just like the Nimrod MRA4/2000. It was an upgraded version of our Nimrod maritime survaillence, and was called the Nimrod 2000 for the year 2000. However, it got delayed so long they changed it to the Nimrod MRA4. Eventually after the cuts they scrapped them altogether. Only after spending had reached the same as four space shuttles though.

Then it cost £3.4billion to scrape the ones they had made! Bonkers!:eek:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
No biggie. Stuff happens to our submarines all the time. My boat ran into a ship in 2002, 2 years before I reported. While I was in Submarine School, the USS San Francisco plowed into an underground mountain. Shortly after I graduated and reported to my boat, 2 of my classmates and good friends reported to the USS Newport News, which collided with a tanker on their first deployment. There was another sub that ran aground on a sand bar while I was in active duty, but I can't remember the name. Earlier this year, one of our subs ran into one of our cruisers. These are just a handful of incidents that I know of. there are many more.

The incident with the San Francisco was actually pretty violent. Could have killed everybody onboard, as some of their ballast tanks were damaged, and they were lucky to have been able to surface. That happened right toward the end of my training and was fresh on my mind when I got to the boat. Sometimes while underway, I would just get a random phobia that we were about about to slam into something unseen, and would brace myself for it. Never came, thank God.

USS San Francisco:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I don't understand why they are going the civilian route. As a retired member of the armed services, He is subject to the UCMJ and can be recalled. They Navy could do more and faster than the civilian side.