Time Delay Relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoggy

Joined Oct 19, 2013
Hi guys, new to this forum but not new to electronics. While I'm not a wizard I do know my way around a bit. I require some help with time delay relays and making them work in a circuit I have designed.

The Project: Power folding side mirrors

The mirrors use two wires (power and ground) to unfold the mirrors via a motor. To fold it simply swaps power and ground. I've designed a relay logic circuit using two standard 5 pin Bosch automotive relays that will swap power and ground no problem.

My problem is I need a third relay to activate one or the other relay. See attached diagram:

So just a refresher in case there is any questions, the way these relays work is as follows:

Pins 85 and 86 are the switch (polarity does not matter)
Pin 30 is power in and is normally closed to accessory pin 87a
Pin 87 is the other accessory

I've used the relays backwards by using Pins 87A and Pins 87 as my inputs and Pin 30 as my accessory output, this way I can switch between power and ground as Pin 87A on both relays is always grounded while only one relay can switch at any time. Pin 85 is my switch.

Here is where I need this forums help. I want the mirrors to unfold when they get the accessory (hereafter called ACC) signal from the ignition switch and fold in when ACC is dropped. I did a bit of reading on time delay relays but not sure which one is suitable.

How I see it: Once the time delay relay receives ACC trigger it sends power to Pin 85 on Unfold Relay for 5-10 seconds then kills the output. Once the relay loses the ACC trigger it sends power to Pin 85 on the Fold Relay for 5-10 seconds then kills the output.

Perhaps there is a simpler way of doing this altogether, perhaps it's a bit harder than I think.

Any help is appreciated!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus